• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is the correct hood pin location and lanyard mount?

bigmanjbmopar

Newb with a view
Local time
12:34 AM
Reaction score
Where do the Pins mount? replace the bump stops? also where do the lanyards mount to on the radiator support? Pics?
Thanks,

Hope it helps......Nothing on the lanyards for ya....sorry.

Hood_pin_location_69_RR_wtxt_rev1.jpg

Lanyards don't mount to the radiator support, they mount to the hood. They go to the inboard rivet, so at 3 o'clock on the passenger side, 9 o'clock on the driver's side.

Attachments

• Hood_Pin_location_RM_Road_Runner_1969_LOH_MikeR_002.jpg
    Hood_Pin_location_RM_Road_Runner_1969_LOH_MikeR_002.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 1,039
  • Hood_orig_6_69_Drag_mag_001.jpg
    Hood_orig_6_69_Drag_mag_001.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 826
Well that's a photo of an original setup and that's how the A12s mounted the lanyards.

If you don't care about originality you could mount them down to the rad support like on a hinged hood, but you'd have nowhere like that to mount the lanyard at the firewall end of things. If it's not a lift off hood then that doesn't matter.

Well at this point in the resto it's not going to be a factory one so I am getting the bolt on hood since I am just too lazy to lift a hood off by my self lol.

The hood pin set I got has these long lanyards with it and look like yearone pins I just want to at least put the pins in the right spot so if I ever to go back to a factory correct look it will be one less thing myself or anyone else has to deal with.

I will try the lanyards in both spots to see how they look on top and under the hood attached to the radiator support...that comes in cuz I already had threaded holes on each side and the screws that came with the kit fit perfectly oddly enough.

I think the pin kit I got is more for an E-body oh well. Everything is changeable :)

My '72 had factory-drilled holes in the radiator support crossbar, which made locating the hood pins at the right place easy. No such on the '69?

Here's a set of lanyards riding too high, IMHO. With 20-inchers, they should go through the lower part of the grille.

DSC_0044.jpg

maybe this will help ya big man. if you can wait untli later ill get better pix. im going to look at a 66 belvy today and ill get ya pix when i get back:headbang:

As B-body Bob said your lanyards are way too long, you need the short ones, you can get them from Dales Cuda shop on this site. best wishes on your project..

Cool dog that would be great, hood isn't even here yet so I got all week :)

The hood being bolt on automatically makes it no "factory correct" so I guess having the wrong lanyards just kinda goes with that? lol

My '72 had factory-drilled holes in the radiator support crossbar, which made locating the hood pins at the right place easy. No such on the '69?

Here's a set of lanyards riding too high, IMHO. With 20-inchers, they should go through the lower part of the grille.

DSC_0044.jpg

Why would you put hood pins and that hood? just for the looks? I mean I'm ok with it but those mounting points are for sure off ruined the grill with screw holes.

^ I reckon he liked the looks of the lift-off six-pack hood but wanted to keep the hood he had? But if he was going for half of the 4-pin look, the correct placement for the front pins would have been about 3" from the front edge and 1" in from each side. The ones in the pic are basically reversed from what they should be.

A12 lanyards

Mine are like 20" long not short like in the pic.

The correct 69 A12 lanyards are 6" long, coated in black and attach to the pin bezel rivit as described above.
Little known fact....... The lanyards are the same part as used to support A-body glove box doors.... part #2927281

I have some on the way hardens has them for $16 a set, as soon as I get tired of the hinges I will get the rear pin set up. which will be soon I think lol

Anybody know how much one of these hoods weighs? I am thinking of putting one on my 69 bird. But man they arnt cheap from year one!!

24-29lbs is about right mine is pretty light, that's why I think having full pins now is not a big deal. Can take it on and off by myself.

Bigman, is yours a race weight one or a repop from year one?

Not sure was never told most likely a repop from somewhere..

Lift off hood

I've owned three A12's with original hoods and never had any problem taking them off by myself. The issues is....where do you put it down..... Try to avoid standing it on its rear corners. I always carried a thick blanket to put on the top of my non vinal top cars and placed the hood there.
I remember one day I had put the blanket on the top and then lifted the hood and walked around to put it down only to find the wind had blown the blanket off.... bummer...!

Auto Transport Service
Back