• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is the difference between and A body and B Body Radio

Chargerjase

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:22 PM
Reaction score
Hi All,

Can anybody please tell me what the differences are (if any) between an A body radio and a B body radio? Its going into a 1970 Coronet with non rallye wood grain dash.

A body Radio

1671622449790.png

B Body Radio

1671622516871.png

It could be a slight dimension difference or something like that. If anybody knows, please let me know? Thanks in advance.

Hmmm, I might have answered my own question here. It seems that the center section is raised. Apart from that, I don't see any major differences.

Major differences, yes;
A has threaded shaft for the knobs. The push buttons are hollow on the bottom. B are hollow on the top, because the radio is tilted up and you see the bottom of the push buttons while sitting on the car.

B has threaded holes on the front for mounting bolts, look at you photo The bolts are there on east side, 7/16 socket. Now there are 2 pins right below the bolts that go through the dash frame to align the radio.
Then the rear stud lines up with the welded to the dash rear bracket, so there is no fudging room for that

the 1970 B body radios fit either stand are or rally dash, but the faceplates are unique for the dash type.

So you are not getting that A body radio in there without work, the rear stud is in the wrong place and the dial lens will be set back from the faceplate and look strange.

0D0E010E-0DED-4FC6-B284-EC7B2C90976C.jpeg

That's great information, thanks R413. I will be sourcing the correct radio for this B body, that's for sure.

I have several 70 B body radios in stock. I can offer stock AM restored or with modern blue tooth and stereo upgrades. PM me if interested.

Major differences, yes;
A has threaded shaft for the knobs. The push buttons are hollow on the bottom. B are hollow on the top, because the radio is tilted up and you see the bottom of the push buttons while sitting on the car.

B has threaded holes on the front for mounting bolts, look at you photo The bolts are there on east side, 7/16 socket. Now there are 2 pins right below the bolts that go through the dash frame to align the radio.
Then the rear stud lines up with the welded to the dash rear bracket, so there is no fudging room for that

the 1970 B body radios fit either stand are or rally dash, but the faceplates are unique for the dash type.

So you are not getting that A body radio in there without work, the rear stud is in the wrong place and the dial lens will be set back from the faceplate and look strange.

View attachment 1390525

some of you guys amaze me ....... :lowdown:

I have several 70 B body radios in stock. I can offer stock AM restored or with modern blue tooth and stereo upgrades. PM me if interested.
I am looking for a 1970 am/fm dial face plate , the face plate which has the am/fm stations on it , my lens is good I just want a new dial plate , do you have any

Auto Transport Service
Back