• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is this on my head?

slepr1

Local time
4:51 AM
Reaction score
A leaky drivers side valve cover is winning the battle. After changing gaskets a couple times I had enough. The leak is coming from the bottom middle area of the cover, dripping down the block and on the headers. You all know what happens then.

Today I removed the cover once again and noticed this 'nub' is protruding higher than the ledge for the valve cover. I'm thinking this isn't allowing the valve cover to seat properly. My valve cover base does not go around the nub. The next bolt hole to the left has a nub too but doesn't protrude as high. I look at my Moroso Perm-Align valve cover gasket and you can clearly see the nubs making indents into the gasket.

I didn't remove the passenger side valve cover to see if they are there too because its not leaking. Any ideas what that nub is and if this could be my leak source?

Head Nub.jpg

What engine?

I would grind it down.

440. I think mid 70s block. Not sure of the heads...could be from another year.

I could grind it down. I'd be worried some grindings might find its way into the engine unless I pulled it off.:angry1:

Smear lots of grease around the area, then file it down smooth, and then remove grease.

It would be easier just to trim the gasket around the nub ...

Strange nub you got there but it has been in place for probably 40 yrs and safe to say it's not going anywhere. If it interferes with the gasket just trim the gasket as mentioned or run a thick gasket.

iWack it with a chisel, it'll pop off.
Doug

^^^^^ lol

like the other guys have said, make the gasket fit the wart

I've seen the gaskets with the double hole at each bolt before but I thought it was a GM thing?

Punch a hole in the gasket for the pin. It's to hold it in place while you install the cover...

What's the casting numbers?

Thanks all...I ended up filing it down smooth. It was too close to the bolt hole to trim the gasket. Quick repair.

Auto Transport Service
Back