• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

what is this Orange box-Rewiring in the engine bay American Autowire

Acworld34

Local time
8:26 AM
Reaction score
1970 Plymouth Satellite 383 engine

Hey so I am rewiring my Car and some of the things just don't add up. This is on the passenger side of the Car. The distributor has a wire going to this orange box and then a wire going back from the orange box to the ignition coil.

American Auto wire requires you to have a one wire Alternator. It also has the distributor sending one black wire to the Ignition coil. Problem is that the distributor I have has two wires coming out of it one black and one gray and they go straight to this orange box mounted next to the radiator underneath the horn. This orange has four plugs coming out I am making assumptions but I know one is going to the Ignition coil, the ballast resistor and then back to the bulkhead connector.

Basically I am asking what is this... if I can by pass I can hook the black wire from the Distributor to the IGN coil but what about the grey wire. Reading the schematics it looks like it has something to do with the alternator.

Orange box.jpg

Last edited:
that's the electronic ignition module.
somebody added it if your car is a 69??
you don't say what year of car.
your car was originally a points set up if it is a 69?
which means the distributor has probably been swapped and some other stuff added or deleted. if you don't have much experience with this stuff I highly recommend you get someone who does.

that's the electronic ignition module.
somebody added it if your car is a 69??
you don't say what year of car.
your car was originally a points set up if it is a 69?

sorry will change that it is a 1970 Plymouth satellite

sorry will change that it is a 1970 Plymouth satellite
ok my post still applies to the 1970 model year.dont take my post the wrong way. I don't know how much experience you have, but the 1970 was still a points setup.

ok well it still applies to the 1970 model year.
so my question is can this be bypassed?
well I know this is aftermarket wiring but it does not mention how to deal with an electric ignition module. I don't know what to do. it totally leave this out. I am guessing I am keeping some of this wiring but don't know the purpose.

I have two wires coming from the distributor and one wire going to the ignition coil. I traced most of them but some are going back to the bulkhead which I totally updated now.

so my question is can this be bypassed?
well I know this is aftermarket wiring but it does not mention how to deal with an electric ignition module. I don't know what to do. it totally leave this out. I am guessing I am keeping some of this wiring but don't know the purpose.

I have two wires coming from the distributor and one wire going to the ignition coil. I traced most of them but some are going back to the bulkhead which I totally updated now.
I did the American Auto Wire on my car.. You need the Orange box, unless you go to a new a plug and play distributor. Also, yes you must have a 1 wire Alternator.

Here is how you need to wire the Orange box. You can buy just a harness if you no longer have the black plug that goes into the Orange box.

Ign Wiring.png Charger Lights.jpg Wiring.jpg

OP, you seem to be mixing ignition wiring (orange box) with the charging system wiring (alt & voltage regulator) they are separate but voltage reg & alt field need the correct voltage source. Wire the orange box per the Mopar wiring diagram & alt per it's diagram.

Capture.JPG
Good god could they make a more confusing wiring diagram?
View attachment 849995

Yes i was using that..... that is why i was F%$%ing confused as hell. Derwud helped me out a lot. I got it figured now.. about to buy a one-wire alternator next.

I was told that it was the stock system and most people change the distributor to a HEI with only one wire. I also didn't know that the purpose of the resistor was to knock down the voltage to not burn up the Electronic ignition Module.

They sent me this which is similar but it explains it well enough for me to understand.

Ballast Resistor purpose was to cut down volts to the positive side of the coil upon startup

Your coil will determine what ohm ballast resistor if any , especially aftermarket coils

Dual ballast resistor in that last diagram was a factory setup from Chrysler on electronic ignition cars along with the factory five pin ECU

Ballast Resistor purpose was to cut down volts to the positive side of the coil upon startup

Your coil will determine what ohm ballast resistor if any , especially aftermarket coils

Dual ballast resistor in that last diagram was a factory setup from Chrysler on electronic ignition cars along with the factory five pin ECU

Not entirely true....the ballast resistor limits the current the orange ignition box handles and reduces the voltage to the coil during the RUN MODE. The resistor is by-passed (allowing 12 volts to the coil's primary) during starting to insure a "hot" (full voltage) spark for easier starting.
The original ballast resistor (points distributor system) was approximately 0.5 ohms. With the Mopar electronic distributor system (presumably this is what you have) the ballast resistor is approximately 0.1 ohms but is bypassed during starting. Just be careful in what coil you choose....if incorrect, it can damage the orange box module by asking it to switch too much current (the transistor on the outside of the case does the switching of the coil current).
My opinion.....you DO NOT NEED a one wire alternator just use what Mopar designed and installed with the original alternator and regulator. Consider using an electronic regulator in lieu of the origional regulator with your existing alternator. I'm sure the MSD ignition system proponents will argue why their way is best. Are you going to race the car or just looking for reliability? If you are going to car shows what you have/need will be just fine. Just my opinion of course.
BOB RENTON

Dumb question, maybe, does OP mean ONE Wire, as in no external voltage regulator(reg internal to alt) or 1 field wire at the alt + the power wire?
BTW I agree with RJRENTON on ballast resistor for the orange box & coil combination.

Dumb question, maybe, does OP mean ONE Wire, as in no external voltage regulator(reg internal to alt) or 1 field wire at the alt + the power wire?
BTW I agree with RJRENTON on ballast resistor for the orange box & coil combination.

Yes....I agree....if OP's car is a 1970 Plymouth Satellite, it will have the isolated field alternator and the electronic voltage regulator already installed, regardless of which engine is installed.
It is obvious that someone installed the Mopar electronic distributor system prior to Aceeotld34's aquisition. I totally agree that the American Auto Wire's diagram is terrible.....totally confusing and I'm a registered professional electrical engineer.....and for someone without any fundamental knowledge of wiring, its a nightmare.
Perhaps OP, should do a charging system check to see if what he has is, in fact, working correctly b4 wholesale replacing parts or the alternator. Just my opinion of course.
BOB RENTON

Auto Transport Service
Back