• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is this sound?

chillbill

Local time
12:01 PM
Reaction score
I started the car after sitting for 3-4 weeks. It ran fine for a few minutes but then this started. The noise does go away for a few seconds intermittently but comes back. I think it's a stuck valve hitting a piston.

Maybe a lifter loosing its oil? May be a dumb question, but how is the oil level in the engine?

I don’t know but I would be pulling my valve covers off pronto to find out:BangHead:

I’m going to guess a pushrod through a rocker on the drivers side, that noise has a tinny sound to it.

Last edited:
I had a 'similar' noise. Turned out to be the fuel pump. But yours sounds like it's coming from the top of the engine.

Yep, that's under the valve cover and will be readily apparent once opened up.

i took off the driver side valve cover and everything looks fine. Rockers all stable, nothing weird with pushrods. Maybe I should start the engine with the covers off and see what happens...?

Interesting thing about the fuel pump, I see about 4-5psi of pressure. It used to be around 7. But the noise definitely seems to be from the top driver's side of the engine.

Go buy a new fuel pump push rod.. You have an apparent clicking from the worn rod. I have changed 2 rods out in as many months. The Comp Cams rods are ****. If you can find a NOS one you are miles ahead. The after marked rods are all junk.

Here is a post that shows just how much these new push rods wear out. And it does it fairly quick.

https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/fuel-pump-push-rod-wear.61426/

Last edited:
Go buy a new fuel pump push rod.. You have an apparent clicking from the worn rod. I have changed 2 rods out in as many months. The Comp Cams rods are ****. If you can find a NOS one you are miles ahead. The after marked rods are all junk.

Here is a post that shows just how much these new push rods wear out. And it does it fairly quick.

https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/fuel-pump-push-rod-wear.61426/
Coming from the wrong part of the engine for that though, least according to the OP....??

Pull the passenger side just to make sure.

Coming from the wrong part of the engine for that though, least according to the OP....??
When the GTX my friend owns started tapping it sounded like a lifter. I thought it was until I pulled the fuel pump to look at it. ANd it was worn down. Not saying this is his issue but it is worth looking at.

i took off the driver side valve cover and everything looks fine. Rockers all stable, nothing weird with pushrods. Maybe I should start the engine with the covers off and see what happens...?

Interesting thing about the fuel pump, I see about 4-5psi of pressure. It used to be around 7. But the noise definitely seems to be from the top driver's side of the engine.
Go down the row and see if you can push any of the pushrods down by hand
(therefore collapsing the lifter underneath). Your thumb is pretty good for this.

IF that's not valve train noise you should check the Flexplate and Torque Convertor bolts

Not a lifter....too fast at idle. Sounds like all the flex plate bolts hitting. Check the inspection cover.

Not a lifter....too fast at idle. Sounds like all the flex plate bolts hitting. Check the inspection cover.
It does look like the flexplate is hitting something.
I put some sharpie on it to make sure the damage is fresh, and it is.

oY0NSJdaIjNKtaQ1NUpVcRZsMAjj2D3vY3OWDmZYj1ZJpIryKHjErOIX5vc8d4n0-tGSeQ=w2524-h1892-no?authuser=0.jpg

All the bolts seem to be snug. What else is there?

Also, I had to add a quart of ATF as it was low.

Auto Transport Service
Back