• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is this stuff?

hoover

Local time
12:05 PM
Reaction score
What is the putty that was used between the hood and trunk frame and the sheet metal skin?
It is all falling out on my car and i would like to replace it before we paint the car

Seam sealer. You can get it in cans or a caulking tube.

That's not seam sealer, It's a foam that has been replaced by a few way better products. Before you dig out
all of the old stuff, set the hood on two horses and support it where it sits on the car. Next to the hinges and
by the front brace frame where the hood sits on the rubber bumpers. Clean the areas next to the original
spots and apply the polyurethane foam and let it cure overnight, then remove all of the old junk It doesn't
expand or shrink, so it won't move your panels around!
20200703_120704.jpg

That's not seam sealer, It's a foam that has been replaced by a few way better products. Before you dig out
all of the old stuff, set the hood on two horses and support it where it sits on the car. Next to the hinges and
by the front brace frame where the hood sits on the rubber bumpers. Clean the areas next to the original
spots and apply the polyurethane foam and let it cure overnight, then remove all of the old junk It doesn't
expand or shrink, so it won't move your panels around!View attachment 1348765
I am going to order some, thank you!

O.K., You also need to get a mixing tip for the material and I borrowed the "calking gun" that the
cartridge that you see above fits into from a local body shop. I have some extra tips if you can't
find them separatly! Let me know and I'll mail you one.

I used the 3M version on my GTX hood and roof skin.
04274 3M Dampening Material.jpg

For seams I like the Lord Fusor 803 DTM as it fits in a standard caulk gun, is paintable in minutes, and easy to work with. One tube goes a long way.

Auto Transport Service
Back