• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is this?

306Doba

Local time
9:03 AM
Reaction score
My car just started leaking oil pretty good, looks like its coming from the seal of some kind of sensor possibly? it's a 5.9l 360 motor

IMG_0060.jpg

IMG_0061.jpg

near the bottom front of the motor on passenger side just above the oil pan

Are you certain it's oil? Could be anti freeze washing off an oil coating. Those are usually the first freeze plugs to go.

Pretty sure it's oil (i've had to add oil) unless I have 2 leaks haha, haven't had my car on a lift or on stands to get a better look yet.

Thanks for the help/info!

It's a block heater (you might appreciate it during a B.C. winter) but it only goes into the water jacket. I suspect you have leaky oil pan or valve cover gasket and it just looks like oil is coming from the block heater.

I'll get a better look at it one of these days, not using it as a daily driver so i'm not in too big of a hurry and I don't trust the factory jack in the trunk heh

Don't think it's the valve covers, pretty dirty in there but don't see any wet spots around them and it was leaking quite a bit

Just finished a long drive (1800kms) only stopping for gas and oil, the engine never got too hot at any point, and seemed to start leaking the most when the temp got close to half or when the engine was under lots of load in the high mountain passes.. one point going up at 6% grade for 19kms. Driving normal (100kmh or below) it didn't seem to leak at all. Got pretty low a couple times, probably shouldn't have been driving it but didn't have the time or money to stop at a shop. Thank god the engine isn't making any funny ticks or noises.

Also when the car is parked and cool it doesn't leak

Thanks again for the help/info!

Hey 306Doba!
1800 km drive! Excellent!!! So good that you really DRIVE that car! You are my hero!
btw... why 306Doba? Did you mean to type 360Doba?
David

Hey 306Doba!
1800 km drive! Excellent!!! So good that you really DRIVE that car! You are my hero!
btw... why 306Doba? Did you mean to type 360Doba?
David

Haha yeah this car was meant for the highway

306 was my old area code in Saskatchewan, just moved out to BC though.

Was the third time the car has made the trip! both other times I racked about 5000kms in a matter of weeks and never ran into a single problem. Atleast I dont have to worry about the drive back this time.

Ever find the oil leak? You might take a look at the oil pressure sending unit - air movement under hood can disguise a leak here. Just sayin'...

Haven't looked too hard yet but noticed the bolt on the valve cover closest to the oil cap and the spark plug under it had fresh oil on them, not sure if that's from pouring oil and spilling or not because it doesn't show up anywhere else. Drove it a couple of times and it only seems to leak after driving highway speeds. Noticed oil pressure meter was going from about half to a 1/4 depending on engine speed, where is the oil pressure sending unit located?

Oh and I came to the conclusion that the freeze plug IS slowly leaking anti freeze lol. Probably need to replace all my seals/gaskets

On a small block the oil sender right next to dist. On B/RB still at rear of engine between intake and bellhousing face. Smalll blocks can either be straight up and down or angled to one side (with adapter fittings) B/RB angled toward driver side.

Auto Transport Service
Back