• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is this??

mjb765

Local time
1:32 AM
Reaction score
Excuse what may be a dumb question...but I have never seen this. I went to replace the fuel filter on my 69 383 Bee and saw a small balck can with 3 lines going into it mounted next to the fuel pump. In from the fuel pump, out to the carb and one for return? Pic is attached. The filter is on the left side of the pic, so is that black canister another filter that I need to replace???

Attachments

• IMAG0103 (Large).jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 682
Thanks.....at least I don't need to replace it!

Fuel vapor separator, leave it in. It helps with fuel boiling out of the carb

imgres

I'll tell ya what else..............

that filter does not belong BEFORE the pump.

You might consider replacing the separator. After many years, the orifice inside could be rusted "more open" or plugged shut

You can do the whole job in one swoop ---use a Wix 33040 (5/16) or 33041 (3/8) filter which has a built in return. You'll have to re--route your 1/4" return slightly -- the orifice (1/4") must be "up"

318enVkNS5L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

You can also use a 33054 (5/16) and I don't know what the 3/8 part no. is, which has a 90* 1/4" fitting:

31ThxALYp0L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Thanks....I guess I will replace it....But..in the pic I posted it is installed AFTER the pump. The line you see running from it is the return. It is mounted between the fuel pump and the carb. The filter on the left is the feed line.

Thanks....I guess I will replace it....But..in the pic I posted it is installed AFTER the pump. The line you see running from it is the return. It is mounted between the fuel pump and the carb. The filter on the left is the feed line.

And that is the one he's referring to. Remove and place between pump and carb.

I have seen several cars that have 2 filters installed...before and after the pump.....this is my 3rd mopar set up this way...just didn't know about the vapor return fitting.

Would the one before the pump cause a problem?

I was mistaken. It's not a vapor separator. It's a flux variance filter for the flux capacitator. It's also mounted in the wrong place. It should be mounted next to the plasma inductor, just under the formal jizmator injunctor, immediately ahead of the portal infusium barrier, right next to the scandium generator.

I have seen several cars that have 2 filters installed...before and after the pump.....this is my 3rd mopar set up this way...just didn't know about the vapor return fitting.

Would the one before the pump cause a problem?

Mechanical pumps push way more efficiently than they suck. The lightest amount of debris within the filter can greatly affect the pumps ability to function. And the pump is far less susceptible to trash than the carb, so the pump doesn't really need any more protection than the pickup sock in the tank.

What Sixer said

You CAN run a filter before the pump(s) but that filter MUST be a special free flowing (low back pressure) filter A typical throw away can is not one of 'em.

The filter I posted when placed AFTER the pump will replace both of your components.

It might well be that your separator is still in good shape, but it warrants a look

I was mistaken. It's not a vapor separator. It's a flux variance filter for the flux capacitator. It's also mounted in the wrong place. It should be mounted next to the plasma inductor, just under the formal jizmator injunctor, immediately ahead of the portal infusium barrier, right next to the scandium generator.

That's the problem!! My plasma inductor must be shot!!! I wonder if I can get NOS or if they are being repro'ed.....

What Sixer said

You CAN run a filter before the pump(s) but that filter MUST be a special free flowing (low back pressure) filter A typical throw away can is not one of 'em.

The filter I posted when placed AFTER the pump will replace both of your components.

It might well be that your separator is still in good shape, but it warrants a look

When the correct Wix replacement with the vapor line arrives I will remove the additional filter before the pump while I am down there.

Thanks for the advice.

Scandium generator?? I thought that was up to 68. 69 and later had the inverted phase flyback generator.

Got the lastest issue of Mopar Collectors guide today and look what was in it!!!

Attachments

• MCG article.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 546
My next problem..everything I read says it was used on 440 4brl, 440 6 pack and hemi's. My car is an original 383 car..maybe someone added it??? If I wanted to remove it, what would I do with the 1/4' return line? Just cap it??

not stock for a 383,vapor seperator only came on 440's and hemi's. 383 should have a canister fuel filter only

Auto Transport Service
Back