• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What it was like being my father's son...

MrJLR

Jeff
Local time
11:47 AM
Reaction score
Today, July 20th, is the 50th anniversary of the moon landing.
It took 400,000 scientists, engineers, machinists, etc to put those 3 men up there - and my father was one of them.
Sadly, I lost my father 3 years ago, but 10 years ago on the 40th anniversary he sent me this email I want to share with you.

July 20, 2009

Jeff-
This 40th anniversary of the first moon landing brings back to me a few memories. I had been working down in El Segundo at Hughes Aircraft Co. for several years. That big 12-story building on Imperial Highway was completely devoted to that shot to the moon and they had the primary contract from JPL. Several batteries were under consideration for use in the cabin that was going to the moon. The worry was what would happen to the heat generation in an environment with no air. The batteries were not in with the people. I invented the isothermal calorimeter to measure exactly how much heat would be given off on both charge and discharge. The work that I did with that calorimeter determined which battery was going to the moon. The battery under investigation was put in a big container of Freon 11 which boils at about 75 degrees F and it keeps the battery at that temperature no matter what it is doing. I have a bunch of good pictures of that big device which I can show you. I later got a patent on it and builtanother one at JPL.
When Spring came in 1969 we were getting nervous about when that space craft was going to take off. We came up with the saying "We may in May". We didn't make it so we came up with "The moon in June". Again we didn't make it so we came up with "We fly in July". And we did!!
Dad

Both of my parents were scientists and my childhood was interesting to say the least!

I miss my dad and this is a special day he would have loved to see!

20090219083219_00001-jpg.jpg

Jeff

I've been watching a lot of shows this week on the landing. Great story - thanks for sharing, Jeff!

Thank you for your story, and thanks to your dad for his contribution to the space program !

Thanks for sharing this story of American Exceptionalism. The amazing details of this would otherwise be unknown. Skilled and driven people working on so many critical aspects of this.

What an amazing story!! Be proud!!

Great letter from a great generation we are losing all too fast. 440'

You’re lucky to have that keepsake from very thoughtful father and another version of our American heroes.

Very interesting, another unknown hero.
Good thing we have guys like your Dad.

Thanks for sharing that with us. Pretty cool how those guys and gals made everything work.

Auto Transport Service
Back