• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

what kind of paint to use on torsion bars?

resq302

Local time
3:15 PM
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to restore the front end on our GTX. What would be a good paint to use on the torsion bars? I want to dip the torsion bars to get the same appearance as the factory did with the drips. What would the best paint to use for this type of application?

try DuPont / Nason's chassis black it's a no mix paint out of the can. just spray it on. I'm doing a front end on a 50 chevy coupe and it is correct for gloss.

the factory originally dipped the torsion bars which is why they had lots of paint drips as they were hung and dipped horizontally. spraying it will not achieve the same results. I have some gloss black left over from when we had our el camino in single stage ChromaOne. I wonder if that will work?

I wonder if you can just spray heavy and let it run. Nice hot day and let the bars warm up and go to it.

You could get a piece of PVC pipe just large enough for the T-bar to fit in side, glue an end cap on it, stand it vertically, and fill it part way with paint and dip to your heart's desire. Dip each end one at a time to save on the amount of paint if you like; then hang in whatever orientation you care. (I clean rocker shafts this way, BTW.)

Auto Transport Service
Back