• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What makes a 440 a magnum?

440 PHIXX: Why do you think the HP is "funny"? I wouldn't say the HP is "magical", but it's stamped on my engine, which has not yet been rebuilt (it's in for rebuild now, after 178,283 miles). Actually, I never knew the stamping was there until I began disassembly to pull the engine out for the rebuild. I highlighted the stamping on the pad with chalk for a better photo.
It’s just a stamp a line worker did. I do it now and then as well. Lately I’ve been engraving. My point was, it means nothing in respect to what is inside the engine a lot of times 50 some years later.

It’s just a stamp a line worker did. I do it now and then as well. Lately I’ve been engraving. My point was, it means nothing in respect to what is inside the engine a lot of times 50 some years later.
As I mentioned, I am the original owner and the engine has never been out of the car until I pulled it for rebuild. Makes no sense to me that a line worker at the factory would stamp something that means nothing. All the other parts of the stamp (E = 1969, 63 = 383 HP engine, 1 22 = Built on 22 Jan 69) mean something according to the Chrysler codes, and HP for the 335 hp "high performance" version of the 383. My original question was why, if I have what is defined as a "Magnum" engine I have no special designation on the original air cleaner cover as so many others I've seen. It isn't a big deal. I was just curious.

As I mentioned, I am the original owner and the engine has never been out of the car until I pulled it for rebuild. Makes no sense to me that a line worker at the factory would stamp something that means nothing. All the other parts of the stamp (E = 1969, 63 = 383 HP engine, 1 22 = Built on 22 Jan 69) mean something according to the Chrysler codes, and HP for the 335 hp "high performance" version of the 383. My original question was why, if I have what is defined as a "Magnum" engine I have no special designation on the original air cleaner cover as so many others I've seen. It isn't a big deal. I was just curious.
I didn’t mean your case, or every case. After all these years... you can’t go by stamped letters on a pad as to what is inside the engine. I have two F440 engines, one stamped HP the other stamped HP2. The both have forged pistons, installed at a rebuild. No 383 or 440 ever came with forged pistons. They all had cast pistons.

This car sold on BAT recently.

1969 Plymouth Road Runner A12 440+6 4-Speed

The guy owned the car 11 years. So I’d think he knew a bit about it. But in the comments he says the engine is an “HP2” casting. It’s just a 440 block that got stamped HP2.
E21648D3-423B-452B-B9FC-FFB85A45B56C.jpeg

Last edited:
I didn’t mean your case, or every case. After all these years... you can’t go by stamped letters on a pad as to what is inside the engine. I have two F440 engines, one stamped HP the other stamped HP2. The both have forged pistons, installed at a rebuild. No 383 or 440 ever came with forged pistons. They all had cast pistons.

This car sold on BAT recently.

1969 Plymouth Road Runner A12 440+6 4-Speed

The guy owned the car 11 years. So I’d think he knew a bit about it. But in the comments he says the engine is an “HP2” casting. It’s just a 440 block that got stamped HP2.View attachment 1339315
Isn’t HP2 the second shift?

I ordered the car with the 383 engine, 4-speed, and without A/C (installed later). I don't remember if I specified the high-performance version. The dealer order form just says "383 4 bbl". I have the Carter AVS carb, and the engine was always orange.
Definitely a 335 horse Magnum. It would have the better cam and a windage tray between oil pan and block.

Could it possibly be that Coronet’s had magnum pie tins and Chargers didn’t or maybe never got installed? Maybe got lost on the way.

My 67 Coronet R/T has the original engine that had never been apart until I tore into it in 1987 or so. It does not have the windage tray that is mentioned. I assume those must have started in 68 or 69. As for the 440 Magnum emblems, the R/Ts did not have them in 67, but they came on Chargers. However, I like the look of them, so I added them to my car. Most people don't know they are not original...(Present company excepted! LOL)

IMG_1234.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back