• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Makes a Super Bee a Super Bee?

iveshrugged

Local time
12:29 AM
Reaction score
Looking for a 68-70 B-Body project car, and am finding a lot of Super Bee's out there, but how can you be sure it's really a Super Bee? I found one, based on the VIN, came with a 318, which Super Bees never came with, so it's a fake. But I've found another that did come with the 383, but how can I be sure? Fender tag is gone. Die cast "Bee" isn't on the tail end. I have to assume many a young hot rodder, back in the day, simply painted the Super Bee decals/stripe on the back and called it a Super Bee. Any ideas?

The Super Bee (WM) was built off the Coronet 440 platform (WH), which gave it nicer interior appointments, such as carpets, deluxe seats, when compared to the Road Runner (RM) which was built off the cheaper Belvedere (RL) platform. Even if the fender tag is gone, usually the VIN tag on the dash remains, and should start WM. 21 = post coupe; 23 = hardtop.
Unlike Road Runner, there was never a production Super Bee convertible

Last edited:
Another thing is all 68-70 superbees will have the rally dash. All 70 superbees had the wood grain rally dash. 68 had 2 engine options 383 or hemi. 69 was 383, hemi, mid year 69.5 440 six pack. 70 was 383, hemi or 440 six pack. And if you look under the car there should be either an 8 3/4 or Dana 60, those were the only two available depending on engine/transmission option, with the exception of the 69.5 six pack, which all had the Dana 60.

The Super Bee (WM) was built off the Coronet 440 platform (WH), which gave it nicer interior appointments, such as carpets, deluxe seats, when compared to the Road Runner (RM) which was built off the cheaper Belvedere (RL) platform. Even if the fender tag is gone, usually the VIN tag on the dash remains, and should start WM. 21 = post coupe; 23 = hardtop.
Unlike Road Runner, there was never a production Super Bee convertible

Until 1971, the Superbee continued on as the Superbee from the Charger platform.

:thumbsup:

Until 1971, the Superbee continued on as the Superbee from the Charger platform.

:thumbsup:

The 71 Super Bee continued on as the WM Coronet VIN based two door midsized Dodge platform. The Charger nameplate moved from the previous X VIN and continued on as a W* Coronet VIN, but Charger badged, car.

I was told only the Coronet 500 like ours and the Coronet R/T had the fancier tail lights. The Super Bee didn't have them. Is this true?

I'm a Plymouth guy. After purchasing my current A-body Duster? It occurred to me I have never owned a Dodge? (Except trucks) extending that with a 69 GTX (My second)

But there is one car I would break with that tradition? The 1969 A12 Superbee. I guess its referred to as the 1969 1/2 440-6. Finest Superbee ever made in my humble opinion. I understand the hemi is even more sought. Especially in a Gen II Charger. But there is something special about the A12.

It was a trim package. At least that is what the VIN says. Obviously people consider all the Belvedere and Coronet trim levels a different model, and therefore a different car.

I'm a Plymouth guy. After purchasing my current A-body Duster? It occurred to me I have never owned a Dodge? (Except trucks) extending that with a 69 GTX (My second)

But there is one car I would break with that tradition? The 1969 A12 Superbee. I guess its referred to as the 1969 1/2 440-6. Finest Superbee ever made in my humble opinion. I understand the hemi is even more sought. Especially in a Gen II Charger. But there is something special about the A12.
DSCF0175.JPG

NOT a trim package.

The Volare Roadrunner and Aspen R/T were trim packages.

They had the same first 2 VIN digits as other Volare and Aspen models.

Looking for a 68-70 B-Body project car, and am finding a lot of Super Bee's out there, but how can you be sure it's really a Super Bee? I found one, based on the VIN, came with a 318, which Super Bees never came with, so it's a fake. But I've found another that did come with the 383, but how can I be sure? Fender tag is gone. Die cast "Bee" isn't on the tail end. I have to assume many a young hot rodder, back in the day, simply painted the Super Bee decals/stripe on the back and called it a Super Bee. Any ideas?
If I had the option I would pass on a car that’s missing a fender tag but that’s only my opinion.

NOT a trim package.

The Volare Roadrunner and Aspen R/T were trim packages.

They had the same first 2 VIN digits as other Volare and Aspen models.

Then you are disputing the FSM. It’s right in the front. The bodies are the same. Different trim applied on the assembly line. The ‘67 GTX was RS... and said Belvedere on both sides and inside.

If the "WM" VIN matches the body stampings, then it is a real Super Bee.

Auto Transport Service
Back