• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What makes these set of rims worth $4k?

70ChargerRT

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:38 AM
Reaction score
I never did know a lot about the fancy rim names growing up. Maybe partially because I never could afford them. When it came time to pick out my rims I wanted a bigger better quality tire so I went with a 17” tire back in 2018. The rim of choice was an American racing VN501. A mag 500 look alike. The Nitto tires, lug nuts, rims, mount and balance and everything came to right below $1800 from Summit Racing. Fast forward today. My neighbor is fixing up a Fairlane that he invited me over to check it out. Well lo and behold he had the exact tire and rim package as mine except his were 18” I think. I said hey nice rims, just like mine. He said nope, these are Billet Specialties. I said they look identical to mine. Well they might look like yours but they are alot better. I said OK lol. He told me that he gave $4k just for the rims alone. I mean don’t get me wrong I have a pile of money in my car with some some good parts but $4k for a set of rims alone sounds crazy to me. Maybe I’ve got the GPC of rims, heck I don’t know but they look “almost” identical to mine. For the ones who don’t know what GPC stands for they were the cigarettes that used to be called Generic Priced Cigarettes. Here’s a few pics of both rims.

D01A078E-AFAD-4887-A621-39A2B646E551.png

0C740C36-F138-4232-A0F4-911FB45BA521.png

A fool and his money are soon parted !!

People like to brag about two things ... how "little" they spent or how "much" they spent.

IIRC the "Billets" look like alloy while the AM Racing look like steel.

Not IMO that either is necessarily "better".

I personally like the look of the steel ones better since the original was steel.

There's a big difference in quality and strength between those two wheels. One is a cast wheel made in China. The other is a forged wheel made in the USA.

I never did know a lot about the fancy rim names growing up. Maybe partially because I never could afford them. When it came time to pick out my rims I wanted a bigger better quality tire so I went with a 17” tire back in 2018. The rim of choice was an American racing VN501. A mag 500 look alike. The Nitto tires, lug nuts, rims, mount and balance and everything came to right below $1800 from Summit Racing. Fast forward today. My neighbor is fixing up a Fairlane that he invited me over to check it out. Well lo and behold he had the exact tire and rim package as mine except his were 18” I think. I said hey nice rims, just like mine. He said nope, these are Billet Specialties. I said they look identical to mine. Well they might look like yours but they are alot better. I said OK lol. He told me that he gave $4k just for the rims alone. I mean don’t get me wrong I have a pile of money in my car with some some good parts but $4k for a set of rims alone sounds crazy to me. Maybe I’ve got the GPC of rims, heck I don’t know but they look “almost” identical to mine. For the ones who don’t know what GPC stands for they were the cigarettes that used to be called Generic Priced Cigarettes. Here’s a few pics of both rims.

View attachment 1402495

View attachment 1402496
Billet aluminum is the key.

There's a big difference in quality and strength between those two wheels. One is a cast wheel made in China. The other is a forged wheel made in the USA.
You still think it’s a $4k set of rims?

Am I wrong in thinking a billet wheel is made of one large piece of aluminum? Then machined to make the wheel or is it done differently? Talk about scrap!

Are the OP's wheels AL or alloy.....or steel?

Am I wrong in thinking a billet wheel is made of one large piece of aluminum?

Yes, you're wrong - sorta, kinda, sometimes.

MOST "rims" are milled separately from the centers. The centers are milled then the rim is placed on a turntable and heated to expand it and the center is dropped in to the desired depth or offset. The assembly cools, is checked for runout and then the centers are welded in permanently on the back side. The fit is so tight it appears as a single unit unless you look at the back.

Some wheels are completely milled from a chunk. These would be mostly "one offs" where the shop wouldn't have access to a stock of rims.

I wouldn’t buy those for that kind of coin with his money. Especially for a ford fairlane. Not a chance - even knowing they’re better built.

I have seen $4000 worth of wheels on an acquaintances Hellcat Demon. Those are NOT four thousand dollar wheels (unless- they are custom order special backspace full billet. Even then, ???)

There is a member here, from my state that had a one-off set of wheels patterned off of 69 wheel covers for his Charger. They are awesome, and they actually use the wheel cover center. Can't remember his screen name.

There were those "small batch" "recall wheel" repros too. IIRC they were close to 4K.

I wouldn’t buy those for that kind of coin with his money. Especially for a ford fairlane. Not a chance - even knowing they’re better built.
Not only that he just had to go buy a close ratio T-56 Magnum just like mine and put in it also. You haven’t seen ugly until you seen a transmission tunnel made to fit over a T-56 in that Fairlane. I may be exaggerating a bit but the tunnel looks like it’s almost to my knees. It that friggin big. Don’t know how he’s going to make his gas pedal work.

You still think it’s a $4k set of rims?
Forgeline
Billet Specialties is pretty proud of their off-the-shelf wheels, but again, those aren't a $500 a piece wheel either.
One of my hot rods has a set of 18"/19" Forgeline three-piece wheels which are all built to order for each customer. A set of four of those will set you back over $6K. Yes, they are light and they are strong. It's a good thing they were on the car when I bought it!

Auto Transport Service
Back