• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What makes this a high performance distributor cap?

moparbud66

Local time
10:44 AM
Reaction score
So, I paid a semi hefty sum for this "high performance" distributor cap and rotor. What makes it high performance compared to the garage sale $1 set? The fancy box is my guess.
IMG_1750.JPG
IMG_1749.JPG

Brass terminals....at least that used to be the answer.... (ya, I know, big deal). Prolly not even brass anymore.

The tan ones from Chrysler were high dielectric strength plastic.

The ACCEL box shows a tan cap and rotor in your picture, but the actual cap was black?

The Accell caps I’ve seen were tan. Did someone pull a bait and switch?

Yes, that's the cap and rotor that were in the box. It does have brass terminals though. Could be a bait and switch.

It may still be a good cap - just doesn’t seem to be an Accell one.

The caps with aluminum posts corrode and are cheap. The tan Accell caps all have brass posts and as mentioned before,
have better high voltage insulating qualities. I bought a few Accell caps recently for around $30.00, and bought ten black
caps with brass posts from Rock Auto for around $5.00/ea. I'll just clean & change out the black ones more often!

Accel caps were excellent parts, better contacts, thicker and better quality material.
The black one isn't accel, and the box doesn't look right at all.
Mexican/Chinese counterfeit?

Brass terminals....at least that used to be the answer.... (ya, I know, big deal). Prolly not even brass anymore.
Look at the package. That's not a picture. Stupid me I was looking at the Chrysler package.

I don’t think it’s a counterfeit. Surely a counterfeiter would get the color and longer coil tower right. I bet someone bought it, did a switch, returned it for a credit, Summit kid looked in box - yep, there’s a cap in there OK, and it went back to inventory.

But... black caps matter. PLUS... you get a description in 3 languages ! A tri-ligual box !

Two important requirements for a 'best quality' cap. Brass or s/steel terminals and insulation material.

The old tan caps that Ch used were Alkyd material, had good dielectric strength at the time.

Rynite which is used now is even better & it comes in different colours. The only way that I know to tell the difference is that when you file Alkyd, it is 'powdery'.

Blue Streak used to make a high performance cap you could buy from Rockauto.
I look for brass inserts and ridges around the inside to make it harder to carbon track. Also a vent.
I got one old cap sitting around with the Forward Motion icon cast on the top for decoration.

Auto Transport Service
Back