• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What master cylinder do i have ?

Canadian1968

Local time
7:24 AM
Reaction score
I just pulled the master cylinder off of my 68 charger r/t . To the best of my knowledge this is the original master cylinder. It is an original bendix disc brake car. But the casting number on the bottom of the MC doesn't match anything I have found?

The number is 27 3699263. It has a 1" bore. But when I look at my 68 FSM there are slight difference. Mine does not have a retaining screw for the rear piston.

I have pulled the rear piston and spring out . But have yet to get the front out. Seems to be stuck. The FSM says to use compressed air...which I will do . I was going to use the dorman repair kit off rock auto which is for a 1" bore. I see the kit does not come with tube seats or pressure residual valve that is seen in the FSM. I guess i will leave these alone?

The MC was weeping from the back. The bore looks perfect so maybe just a seal failure.

just curious as to what the casting number references to ?

Now that is very interesting.....
The car was my grandfather's since 1969.... ohh the stories the car is starting to tell

They were cars... When something wore out it got replaced... Obviously the 3699263 M/C worked... When I was turning wrenches for a living I installed lots of superseded parts... If it bolts up & does the job I'm okay with it & the customer rarely even wanted to see it, it works, pay the bill & hit the road..

Auto Transport Service
Back