• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What oil is everyone using in BBlocks

Houle #382

Local time
8:57 PM
Reaction score
Just curious as to what oil everyone is running in their Big blocks ( 440 ), mine is slightly modified 503 lift cam, hydraulic lifters with adjustable rockers, stock exhaust manifolds, edelbrock performer intake and edelbrock 800 carb. I have been using Brad Penn 20 W 50, has anyone been using full synthetic oil if so what weight.

Amsoil Signature Synthetic 10-40 high zinc. 60k. Clean inside.

Good motors? Brad Penn. Average motors....average oil.

There was a thread on here a couple of months ago that had a link to a study on many different brands of popular oil. Both high zinc and low zinc. It was a very extensive detailed study - not just list.

Brad Penn didn't fare very well in the study. And the highest rated oils were not those that have high zinc content. I wrote down a few of the highest rated oils for use in my GTX.
5/30 GTX Castrol
5/30 Penzoil Ultra - synthetic
5/20 Quaker State Ultimate -synthetic (gold bottle)
5/30 Mobile 1, Advanced Full Synthetic
5/30 Vavoline Max Life - High Mileage
10/30 Valvoline (VR 1) synthetic black bottle
5/30 Cheveron Supreme - blue bottle

The above were top of the list oils. I'm sure some of you remember that link. It was a pretty popular thread and as I said went into excruciating detail on the study. It was good enough for me.

There was a thread on here a couple of months ago that had a link to a study on many different brands of popular oil. Both high zinc and low zinc. It was a very extensive detailed study - not just list.

Brad Penn didn't fare very well in the study. And the highest rated oils were not those that have high zinc content. I wrote down a few of the highest rated oils for use in my GTX.
5/30 GTX Castrol
5/30 Penzoil Ultra - synthetic
5/20 Quaker State Ultimate -synthetic (gold bottle)
5/30 Mobile 1, Advanced Full Synthetic
5/30 Vavoline Max Life - High Mileage
10/30 Valvoline (VR 1) synthetic black bottle
5/30 Cheveron Supreme - blue bottle

The above were top of the list oils. I'm sure some of you remember that link. It was a pretty popular thread and as I said went into excruciating detail on the study. It was good enough for me.
https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/2013/06/20/motor-oil-wear-test-ranking/

I use valvoline VR-1 20w50. Mineral oil is great UNTIL it gets hot. You need to be conscious of oil temps because mineral oil will break down quicker once it gets hot. The added zinc does help the older style of motors but the "lubricity"of modern synthetics is pretty amazing.

I decided to go with the Valvoline VR1, I'm not to thrilled about no 10W40 so I bought a case of 10/30 and 20/50. I'm going to mix them 50/50 so I should be around 15/40. 10/30 just seems awful light for these big blocks especially if it gets really hot outside. A buddy of mine uses the 10/30 and he told me when it does get hot out he notices a drop in oil pressure because the oil is thin. I'm hoping mixing the two together will help.

I use 5w30. Quaker state defy semi-syn. 15 dollars an oil change at WalMart. 80 psi cold, 70 hot at cruise and 45 at idle in gear chugging at a stoplight. Fairly fresh build with tight tolerances. Flat tappet hydraulic. Several thousand miles and no issues. I have thought about vr1 but the defy is pretty good. 1200ppm zddp. Always have to be watchful as the industry standards are always changing and sometimes affect the formulas without warning.

I wouldn't suggest mixing different grades. The 10w30 should be ok on its own.

I'm using 10w40 Valvoline with a bottle and a half of Comp Cams engine breakin at every change. I have a 7 quart pan.
With a high volume oil pump I am around 60-70 psi on average.

Auto Transport Service
Back