• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What options to take? Rebuild a 383 or get a viper motor and trans

Oceankai

Local time
2:05 AM
Reaction score
just wanna know your thoughts. I do have a 383 that I want to convert to a 440 add efi and AC and so on trans upgrade as well. Or do I just get a viper motor and trans includes wiring harness,AC and can get the radiator as well. All for around 8-9 gs

More potential in the 383 vs the V 10. You could do a stroker 383 into a 438. The Viper motor is a lot more work for the same power.

More potential in the 383 vs the V 10. You could do a stroker 383 into a 438. The Viper motor is a lot more work for the same power.
What’s the cost to do a stroker then AC, EFI, serpentine system with power steering cost with trans VS a viper motor with trans AC wiring harness. And keep it in a good reasonable budget. X2 sells viper motors for about 9 to 8 gs.

You need some serious fab skills to put a Viper engine in a b body. Firewall needs moved back, trans tunnel needs to be enlarged,hydrolic clutch, shifter location, motor mounts,trans mount, finding a radiator to work, And entire car needs to be rewired.

don’t think you can spend 8-9gs and now you have a viper drivetrain in your car. Need some serious skills to make it all work. Got about $13k into my fuel injected 535” that’s not including trans and rearend work.

What’s the cost to do a stroker then AC, EFI, serpentine system with power steering cost with trans VS a viper motor with trans AC wiring harness. And keep it in a good reasonable budget. X2 sells viper motors for about 9 to 8 gs.

Oceankai, listen to these guys. If you can get a viper motor for $8000, I would ballpark estimate about another $25,000 to get it installed & working in your car....assuming you know a good/cheap mechanic that works on old custom Mopars or can do it yourself. There's a guy near me who got a viper motor + trans FOR FREE and planned to put it into a 70 Roadrunner. He just gave up and sold everything once he figured out how much it would REALLY cost. Now if you've got $80,000-$100,000 to play with..... go for it!

How much do you really have TOTAL to spend on this car? What kind of car is it? Is the car in primo show-quality condition or does is need paint/body work/frame work/electrical/interior/suspension/tires/etc.? There's nothing that can kill a dream project faster than setting your sights higher than your wallet can reach.... ask me how I know.

Looking at it I understand that there is a bunch of fabing I can do some of that no prob. But looking at it since it’s a long term build. I’ll estimate spending 50gs total. The body is in good shape just some small patches on the rear quarter panels. And thinking when I can work on it should take me 2-3 years.

Welcome to FBBO from NorCal Sierras

I think budget & your actual automotive background,
knowledge &/or you fab skills, is the biggest issue

you can do a lot with the 383,
easily double the hp output

you could do a 440 swap easily too

you can do a lot with a viper v-10 combo too,
if you have the skills & $$$$$$$

you can do the efi on any of them
call @fastmanefi he also a member here

check out Schumacher Creative Services
http://www.engine-swaps.com/

Check out Mancini Racing
http://www.manciniracing.com too

Check out 440source, check out the made in USA products
or the stroker kits or tech articles etc.
http://store.440source.com/

good luck

Oceankai, listen to these guys. If you can get a viper motor for $8000, I would ballpark estimate about another $25,000 to get it installed & working in your car....assuming you know a good/cheap mechanic that works on old custom Mopars or can do it yourself. There's a guy near me who got a viper motor + trans FOR FREE and planned to put it into a 70 Roadrunner. He just gave up and sold everything once he figured out how much it would REALLY cost. Now if you've got $80,000-$100,000 to play with..... go for it!

How much do you really have TOTAL to spend on this car? What kind of car is it? Is the car in primo show-quality condition or does is need paint/body work/frame work/electrical/interior/suspension/tires/etc.? There's nothing that can kill a dream project faster than setting your sights higher than your wallet can reach.... ask me how I know.
Yeah totally understand that’s why I’m saying out the options. Rebuild the motor From the 383 to 440 and turbo or pro charge it.? I’m getting all I for and design before really making the decisions. I appreciate your get advice and help. This is my next project so I’m thing 50gs most of the work I’ll do my self and have couple of my friends help along the way.

don’t think you can spend 8-9gs and now you have a viper drivetrain in your car. Need some serious skills to make it all work. Got about $13k into my fuel injected 535” that’s not including trans and rearend work.
Cool thanks for all your guys feed back really helps me with budget and direction

Welcome to FBBO from NorCal Sierras

I think budget & your actual automotive background,
knowledge &/or you fab skills, is the biggest issue

you can do a lot with the 383,
easily double the hp output

you could do a 440 swap easily too

you can do a lot with a viper v-10 combo too,
if you have the skills & $$$$$$$

you can do the efi on any of them
call @fastmanefi he also a member here

check out Schumacher Creative Services
http://www.engine-swaps.com/

Check out Mancini Racing
http://www.manciniracing.com too

Check out 440source, check out the made in USA products
or the stroker kits or tech articles etc.
http://store.440source.com/

good luck
Awesome love it. I do have a fast Efi on my other car. Mahalo for the help

If you want a Viper motor in a car buy a Viper.
If you want a custom muscle car put a gen 3 hemi in it.
If you want a muscle car build your 383.

Check out X2 builders they sell viper motor he’ll cat motors all type of engines.

If you want a Viper motor in a car buy a Viper.
If you want a custom muscle car put a gen 3 hemi in it.
If you want a muscle car build your 383.
Well it will be custom thats the direction it’s not a high numbers matching car. So it’s not gonna be original. But it will be a muscle car hehe

Check out X2 builders they sell viper motor he’ll cat motors all type of engines.
I know their available, I’m saying it’s not as easy as just buying it and throwing it in your car. As bud said expect to probaly drop another $20k on top of that, now you’re looking at $30,000 ish just to put a viper motor and trans in your car. Now if you have the funds to back that up go for it it’ll be cool as hell. Me personally I’d probaly build the 383 or find a 400-440 block and build that

One more thing. WE ARE ALLABOUT THE COOL FACTOR Lol what’s more cool. Viper motor or a rebuilt 383 motor with twin turbos haha. I’m all about the cool factor I know it’s time and money. If u have a bunch of money u can get it done fast if you don’t it will take you a bunch of time.

One more thing. WE ARE ALLABOUT THE COOL FACTOR Lol what’s more cool. Viper motor or a rebuilt 383 motor with twin turbos haha. I’m all about the cool factor I know it’s time and money. If u have a bunch of money u can get it done fast if you don’t it will take you a bunch of time.
383 with twins. You could even use the stock crank. Easy decision.

Auto Transport Service
Back