• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

what other non car projects are you working on?

Bb70charger500

Local time
1:06 PM
Reaction score
Hey guys ,I was curious what other non car things you guys mess with? Maybe could be helpful if someone knows you know how to do something like fixing tube radios.... I myself love building guns and restoration of antique items
(or preservation of antique items)
If the item is to far gone I'll restore it if it just needs a little love I'll touch it up or do what's needed.
So I'll start I just did this 100 year old Chandler two days ago I have about 16 hours total in it! I didn't take before pictures I didn't think it was going to turn out so nice I might have a picture from a year ago when I bought it . But I took it apart 100% rewired (still had the fabric wiring in it) cleaned and pollished everything. Then rummaged threw a pile of crystals to find a matching set Then cleaned and repaired them as needed.I think it turned out purity good I payed $20 for the core unit about another $30-40 in materials and crystals.
What do you guys think?

IMAG2349_BURST002.jpg
IMAG2354_BURST001.jpg

If your talking about building AR15's, I call those LEGO guns!
I have been building a go-cart for my grandson.
gocart1.jpg

Yes I build Lego guns but I do a lot of hand guns too ,kinda call it hot rodding a pistol take different parts to make the gun operate faster and more reliable I take off a lot of non needed metal and polish a lot the slides love getting polished .that go cart is freaking sweet! It looks like a t bucket!

I don't know the OPs name so I'll just call you Barney until I know otherwise...
Hey Barney, nice work. It reminds me of a chandelier you'd see in a mansion, maybe like in those old scary movies! Nice job though.
Me? I'm a Carpenter by trade and as of last year, I have begun the process of reversing several years of neglect at my house. I've done work on my roof, changing some of the dated design to something more modern. I've added a new window and will end up changing out the remaining single pane windows over time. I've added new siding, laid down some paint, made a few landscaping changes, repaired rotted deck supports and plan to do an addition next Spring along with replacing the 12 foot X 24 foot patio cover.
Last winters rain shed light on some weak spots I have here in terms of drainage. I need to get ahead of that before the rain comes back.
There is a lot to do here and only ONE me ! I wish I had an adult nephew or brother to help out. It would be great to have another guy around to help with the dirty jobs. The wife offers help but I can't see her digging, shoveling, up high on ladders, etc.

I spent May to July building this outdoor smoker and Argentine grill.

Message_1498430464405.jpg 20170618_135617.jpg

James...
Thanks kern I've learned a lot about carpentry in these past few years I bought an older house and have been renovating it right along . Lots of walls disappeared . My helper took off on me moved up to .n.j.
As for 6-8 wheeled water crafts I would request pictures that sounds like fun .
I wish I still had my deuce and a half it was kinda a water/land truck . It didn't really care where it drove!

Nice grill setup I need one. That must of took some time to build

That could kill the average cat if a chain link fails!

View attachment 505992here's the dinning room Chandler it's is freaking massive
That looks nice and suits a certain type of house....but man, do I hate it when the time comes to hang them for a customer. I have a job part way through now, and this woman has dug up the most hideous looking old light fittings - some of which have been converted from candle power to electric.....really dreading completing that one - I'll take pictures just for this thread. She keeps going on about the beautiful old sconces that she found ....makes me cringe, and the apprentices giggle.:rolleyes:

As for my hobbies....at the moment I am part way through a total renovation of our home. As an electrician, it is going to take a little longer, but 90% within my grasp. Yesterday we converted from electric Hot water to gas (LPG in bottles), so that has made a huge difference already. The laundry and one bathroom are complete. A large Rumpus Room is next for demolition....fire place coming out, ceilings and wall lings torn down - new insulation and reline the walls. AsI go along, all the electrics are getting a birthday - LED downlights with zero gaps for dust, wind and crap coming through the ceiling, new wiring and switches etc. Going to keep on with plastering the walls myself....I bought the vacuum a while back, and just going out to buy the rotary sanding machine next week. Had a quote for upgrading to double-glazed windows for the whole house....really need it to cut down on condensation and keep heat on the right side of the glass during the year. When I've done that, I have two bathrooms upstairs to tackle before Christmas. So I guess I'll be a busy boy. Might even take the GTX out and make some new stripes up the street. :D

I play at plastic model making and have done most of the work on all my houses. Take a look at my future model projects they are stacked two kits deep. I'm into USN and AAF aircraft up to the sixties.

DSCF3012.JPG DSCF3011.JPG DSCF3010.JPG DSCF3009.JPG DSCF3008.JPG

I tried models ,I found I don't have the required patients for the job! I do have two in the back room one's a 73-74 charger model I think petty in a 1:16 scale I believe the other is a 426 hemi it was old and sealed and extremely cheap so I bought it with the intention on selling it later that day ! Was our big swap meet . Anyways maybe I'll try again I'll need to get a practice model first I like the tanks !

I learned recently that I cannot run 2 or more LED lights on a single switch. Thats a pisser. I had planned for 2 motion sensor lights in front of the garage and another tied to the porch light. I actually read the instructions and found out before installing them. This sucks though. I had to swap them for regular flood light type units.

Ok
Kern dog
You trying to run them in series or parallel circuits? Or does it not make a difference? Point is if both lights were fully equipped and ran parallel why won't they work on one switch.

Kiwigtx
Why the switch from the electric water heater to lp gas?

Ok
Kern dog
You trying to run them in series or parallel circuits? Or does it not make a difference? Point is if both lights were fully equipped and ran parallel why won't they work on one switch.

Kiwigtx

See this will be a helpful tool we can share other knowledge

Hello again....
The instructions tell to NOT use more than one LED unit per switch. I had already ran the Romex wiring from the existing junction box to another one 24 feet away. Technically, the second unit wiring was just piggybacked. This meant 2 units on one switch. I didn't even try to hook up the LED lights, I went to H/D and swapped them for regular flood light units. I wired them in and they work fine.
I do wonder why the LED versions do not work like regular lights. I first picked them since they were so much brighter.

Kiwigtx
Thanks for asking.
Answer - I am getting sick of being number 4 when it comes to a shower in the morning - and getting left with cold water. In the long run, the changeover will probably only save me about 10%, but it's not the cost that bothers me. We will now have endless hot water, and hot water on demand. Since we have 3 x bathrooms, and the laundry feeding from a 135 litre (approx 40 gallons) cylinder, that don't stretch far enough with a family of four.....let alone trying to get the laundry done etc.
We're on bottled LPG, but that a small price to pay rather than piping from the street, and our area is not piped anyway. :thumbsup:

Hello again....
The instructions tell to NOT use more than one LED unit per switch. I had already ran the Romex wiring from the existing junction box to another one 24 feet away. Technically, the second unit wiring was just piggybacked. This meant 2 units on one switch. I didn't even try to hook up the LED lights, I went to H/D and swapped them for regular flood light units. I wired them in and they work fine.
I do wonder why the LED versions do not work like regular lights. I first picked them since they were so much brighter.
Some LED's are not designed to be more than about 6 feet from their driver - so it may be that you just selected the wrong type. There are Current drivers and voltage drivers available - for different applications. It may also be the loading issue of your driver setup....I fixed a job a few years ago (that an expert Bathroom installer fitted) and found he had used a 350mA driver where a 700mA driver was required....lady was wondering why her square red LED fitting beside the toilet bowl would flash occasionally.:D

Auto Transport Service
Back