• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What product to use to clean dust and dirt off car sitting in garage

Hit it with compressed air first, then use a California Duster. After that, I clean it with either California Gold or Mequiar's Instant Detailer. I never wash my old car with water any more. I think I puked in my mouth a little bit when I read about power washing.
After an accident with my 1967 R/T a few years ago, the body shop found a couple of rust holes in my trunk floor. I did not realize they were there because they were covered up by the trunk mat. Somehow water was getting in, mainly when I water washed the car and laid under the mat, eventually rusting a hole through the trunk floor. The body shop owner, who also owns a 1969 Charger, suggested using only waterless cleaners because old cars may not be sealed to the environment as well as could be.

he body shop owner, who also owns a 1969 Charger, suggested using only waterless cleaners because old cars may not be sealed to the environment as well as could be.

I know someone who uses that a lot and it builds up on the paint. As much someone can plan not to get stuck in the rain, it happens. But if you use a spray bottle and work an area at a time, the car is not getting soaked with water. A guy with multiple high end 71 'Cuda's told me that's what he does and that's what I have done ever since, over 8yrs.

I wash mine like any other car and the finish still looks great. The paint was done in 2003.
I can't believe how meticulous some of you are....

8100 EE.jpg
Folsom 10 (2).JPG

Ok you're crazy. :D

I wouldn't use a pressure washer on any car for the fact they can do some damage. Maybe from five feet away but up close they can peel paint, damage window gaskets/seals ect.
I'm more concerned about grit being picked up by the sponge and scratching the paint up, the power washer does a great job of blowing all of that away beforehand. You do have to watch the pressure and practice some common sense. Myself I just won't buy those pressure washers with 3,500 psi.. way to much, mines 2,700 psi and I would have gone smaller if I could have. I've never removed paint or graphics with it, if it does the paint wasn't any good to begin with.

I have something similar to this-

Large1Lami2017.jpg

It's very soft, doesn't scratch and easily lifts off "new" dust that has accumulated since the last time I drove the car.

Not sure of the brand. Got it at a yard sale for $5

I can't believe how meticulous some of you are....

You're in CA. Sometimes the humidity here can be cut with a knife. I paid a pile for my paint work and am not taking any chances. All it takes is one mistake and it can cost $$ and hours of time.

This tired old bastard was painted in 1988. It’s a 40 foot hodge of resprayed panels that were scratched etc. Mostly we get dust. It has ceramic coating now. I rinse it good at regular bath time. The next guy can fix it right.
AD9AEEB8-D218-46D2-B3B8-0C658356D4CF.jpeg

Optimum No Rinse. 1 oz to 2 gallons of distilled water does a car. Spray or use a microfiber nut or sponge and wipe off with a microfiber towel.

Use a second bucket of water to rinse the mut/sponge between wiping the car.

Leaves a clean, scratch free finish.

If you need to remove gross contamination use a good car wash foam and power washer attachment. Rinse with low pressure. Always dry the car completely afterwards. Including, removing the trunk mat and checking the carpet. If the carpet is wet roll the windows down and use a fan to air dry in the sun if possible.

Auto Transport Service
Back