• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Purpose did these serve

Chi Town Runner

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:00 PM
Reaction score
After relocating to TN and unpacking and organizing my stuff I came across two springs that were around the outside diameter of my original front brake drums ('68 RR). I replaced the drums (years ago) and did not reinstall those springs. To this day I really don't know what purpose those springs served. There was a slight recess around the drum that the springs laid in.

Thoughts ???? Answers ????

Thanks
Frank

They dampen resonating vibration, reduces (but doesn't eliminate) the moaning resonance you'll hear intermittently from the brakes..

They reduce brake chatter. Drums are shaped like a bell and will "ring"at a certain frequency. The spring changes that frequency.

After relocating to TN and unpacking and organizing my stuff I came across two springs that were around the outside diameter of my original front brake drums ('68 RR). I replaced the drums (years ago) and did not reinstall those springs. To this day I really don't know what purpose those springs served. There was a slight recess around the drum that the springs laid in.

Thoughts ???? Answers ????

Thanks
Frank
I hated having to take them off and putting them back on. Did they not work the other three seasons?

I guess I can visualize how he got it on the bucket lol

There's a couple of relief cuts in the bucket, you can see them spread when he kneels on the bucket.

I was told wayyyyyy back when that they also helped cool the drums! :D

Auto Transport Service
Back