• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What spare tire/wheel to use?

Warhorse

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:36 AM
Reaction score
Friends,
My '68 Charger is fitted with Circle Racing Billet Magnum 500's, 17x7 front, 17x8 rear. Tires are Nitto 450 P225/50R17 front, P255/50R17 rear. I'd like to have a "spare" to finish out the trunk area that would look good and be functional. Should I use a OEM type 15" or 16" steel wheel with appropriate tire, or should I stick to 17"? Any ideas appreciated!

photo.JPG

I would use a 15" steel wheel and a tire that is the same height or diameter of your rear tires.

I would use a 15" steel wheel and a tire that is the same height or diameter of your rear tires.
Thanx Jerry. That would make sense because 15" steel wheels are available, look stock and matching diameters would minimize handling issues.

What brake package is one the car? Some aftermarket caliper kits require 16” and larger wheels.

Agree with Jerry. Unless you have big brakes that preclude use of 15s, i would use a small tire that fits in the space that is the same diameter as your rears. If you do need to use the spare, it wont matter on the front, but in the rear, two different height tires will do unpleasant things to suregrips, especially the cone type.

I'd go with same style and size of rim that you have on the rest of the car. If you have a flat, then you just put on a near exact copy of your running wheels...

Agree with Jerry. Unless you have big brakes that preclude use of 15s, i would use a small tire that fits in the space that is the same diameter as your rears. If you do need to use the spare, it wont matter on the front, but in the rear, two different height tires will do unpleasant things to suregrips, especially the cone type.
Yup, thanx for the reminder. I've already run into this issue. I'm running 12" rotors with 6-piston calipers from Wilwood and found my 15" Magnums would not fit. Had to replace them with the 17" wheels. The tires where special order from Diamondback (awesome folks BTW) who vulcanized red-lines into the sidewalls for me. I see three options: 1. blackwall same size as rear on simple 17" rim; 2. OEM wheel/tire that I would never use and call AAA; 3. Leave the area open and call AAA. Thanx for the reminders and inputs.

Air compressor, rope plugs, and a ream set. Put a stock spare wheel/tire in there just for show. My 500 has the original bias-ply (hard as a freakin' ROCK) spare in the trunk, on the original steel wheel...and it's staying. It'll never go on the road...but it's staying in the trunk for show (along with the OEM jack).

Air compressor, rope plugs, and a ream set. Put a stock spare wheel/tire in there just for show. My 500 has the original bias-ply (hard as a freakin' ROCK) spare in the trunk, on the original steel wheel...and it's staying. It'll never go on the road...but it's staying in the trunk for show (along with the OEM jack).
Nice. Amazing we drove around on those bias-plies, but they were the latest things! I just picked up a newly manufactured OEM jack last year, it's pretty sweet.

Auto Transport Service
Back