• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What the hell! Anyone know what this piece is?

mpro69rr

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:44 PM
Reaction score
I looked under my car and found this piece laying about the middle of the car on the ground! Looks like it broke off something. Anyone know what this piece is? The car is a 69 RR 383 4 speed.

20190712_113507.jpg 20190712_113515.jpg 20190712_113525.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like the end of your starter that goes into the transmission.

81AOeEhQ6DL._SL1500_.jpg

NOPE the armature needs that tip to stay straight and keep it inline. There is a bushing in the tip that keeps the thing centered. Without that your starter will wobble internally and eat itself.

0405ea02b0821cd25a2dfec60e3c55fb-l.jpg

NOPE the armature needs that tip to stay straight and keep it inline. There is a bushing in the tip that keeps the thing centered. Without that your starter will wobble internally and eat itself.

View attachment 798888

Thanks, I won't try starting it until I get a new one.

Starter nose. That starter is now junk. Probably a bigger question is why. Is something binding the motor (can check by removing plugs and turning over crank at the balancer/pulley) or did the starter engage when the motor was running (they normally sort of “self protect” for that but you never know). Or maybe the starter was installed “cocked” and bound up that way?

Also remove the transmission inspection plate and look for shrapnel in the lower portion of the bell area. I bet there is some debris in there. Check your torque converter bolts for clearance. If they are hitting something then that would cause a lock issue and could be the source of the Starter breaking.

flywheel-jpg.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back