• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What thermostat should I run?

green440duster

Local time
1:05 AM
Reaction score
Just wondering if any you guys have any experience with what thermostat works best with a Fuel Injection set up? I am running a built 493 Stroker with a mild cam Pro Maxx heads, torker Intake with a MSD Atomic EFI setup. Just curious If anyone had any experience before I call the tech line lol!!!

Thanks
Jamie

I run a 180 high flow thermostat.

180° Stant superstat here too. I don't believe EFI dictates running a specific temp.(The 'super' is also usa made...)

Most efi systems don’t start learning till the water temp is 160.

What is the rest of the story? There must be one or you wouldn't be calling the Tech. line.

No No No not again. You had better go to the correct system tech. How would we have any idea?

Basics - - - thermostat regulates the minimum operating temperature, fan dictates the maximum. Like most have said, most EFI systems won’t self-learn until the CTS reads a specific temperature. In some cases, the user can adjust the temperature via the software. I run a 160* thermostat, keeps the coolant temp around 175-185* in traffic and 170* (+/-) on the interstate. It’s an inexpensive learning curve, pick up a 160-180* thermostat and see what the car likes with your driving style. Lower coolant temperature means more power and detonation resistance.

How does just throwing a thermostat affect fan and other controls? Or will the efi adjust those setting off o2 sensor readings?

Lower temps also mean your washing the cylinder bores, rings not seating, oil not getting up to temp to burn off the acids, poor fuel economy and poor performance. These engines need to run 180-200f. The efi needs to see at least 160, this will allow the proper afr, better idling, better performance, better fuel consumption and can stave of detonation.

How does just throwing a thermostat affect fan and other controls? Or will the efi adjust those setting off o2 sensor readings?

If the EFI is configured to self-learn at 180* coolant temperature, it will not learn below that set temperature.

This all sounds a little backwards. But I dont design efi systems.
I do have 3 injected engines from 3 different manufacturers all show on live data to run between 190 and 195 degress. But their systems were design within epa standards and not personal expectations.
I would have thought system design would have gotten to the point of adding projected air fuel ratios and letting the sensor signals and data generated decide what is the best threw out the learning curve.

This all sounds a little backwards. But I dont design efi systems.
I do have 3 injected engines from 3 different manufacturers all show on live data to run between 190 and 195 degress. But their systems were design within epa standards and not personal expectations.
I would have thought system design would have gotten to the point of adding projected air fuel ratios and letting the sensor signals and data generated decide what is the best threw out the learning curve.
New aftermarket systems can do that.

Mr Gasket and Milodon sell the Robertshaw t-stat. Best one. Mopar used them on the truck/rv applications.

Run the hottest stat your car will accept and the coldest intake air you can get into the motor
180 stat as minimum to protect your investment

Auto Transport Service
Back