• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What to do? Keep 440 or put stroker back in?

Wookie316

Local time
1:37 AM
Reaction score
I have to admit. I've been having a ton of fun with the 440 on spray. Now here is the big question. With summer here and limited garage time here is my thought. If all goes according to plan, the 511 will be on the dyno next Wednesday. However I am at the mercy of T&D as I am waiting on intake rockers to show. If they do all is good. I am sure that motor will go over 800. Should be lots of fun. Now do I stuff it in right away or do I just simply switch the converter in my car and run the 440 for a bit yet? Right now the 8" body is great at the 1/8th, but the 1/4 time is low because it's obviously running through a bit. Should be in the 10.20's according to the 1/8th time. I have a 9.5" body which I use with the big motor. Lenny at ultimate says it should work with the 440 on spray great. Part of me wants to try that but I know every time I look at the 511 sitting in the corner it is going to taunt me. Decisions decisions.

Not to thread jack but what block are you currently using in the 440 on spray and what block are you using on your 511 you hope to see over 800hp on?

Also your car runs hard as it is I say if it ain't broke don't fix it, just enjoy that flying pig lol

They are both stock blocks. The 400 has billet main caps though. Last year the 511 made 745 with the solid flat. With the roller it now has I am guessing it will be over 800. Lobes started to go away is the reason I finally decided to make a switch to roller.

Last edited:
Well, are you a "track guy" or a "driver guy that goes to the track sometimes"? Also, how fast could you put a motor in?

If it were me (which it isn't), I'd be tempted to run the 440 all season (and maybe stack a 2nd nitrous plate on there) & put the 511 in over the winter. However, if you install your own motors and can get it done in 3-4 days, then by all means, skip one "test & tune" and drop that 511 in there. Gut check time.

Last thing... I think the general consensus on this board is that the stock block is only good to around 500-600hp

88953343-19F2-4297-9E44-62C3EF3B306F_zpsidtizskh.jpg

Me and my middle boy.

Yeah I do my own wrenching. I have 3 weeks to decide as that is the next event that I am able to get to. Between then is my daughters grad and camping at the lake. So this will be an evening after work thing for sure. I can make either happen. Just have to decide what to do. I must admit the car is working so darn good right now that the converter switch may be the best plan.

Nice to have options :lol:

If it were me
I'd probably try the different converter &
still the ol' combo 440 1st, see what it does...

Maybe put some more n2o/spray to it :lol:
see what she'll do,
"if nothing else for chits & giggles"...

Get the car sorted, suspension, trans, gears, fuel system, what ever,
make it work best as possible 1st, before the 511 engine swap...
Than drop that bigger beast in, have a true comparison...

Either way it's a good decision...
& your decision :poke:

Have fun, that's what it's all about...

I look forward to the new posts & results/videos & timeslips...

That block is gonna break sooner or later with spray. Run the heck out of the 440 on spray until it breaks and then put the 511 in.....Anyway...you have a great looking car..

I think of the glass as 1/2 full. It won't break.........
Well nothing that wood screws and duct tape won't fix.

Let destiny play it's roll, seams like everytime I have a decision to make something happens that makes the choice easy. Either way sounds fun to me.

Not to hijack but is that true 500-600hp is tops? That seams a bit low especially the 500hp? I ask because I'm in the 500hp range and have been contemplating twin Turbos for awhile which would bring it up to around 700hp. I was going to switch out my Hyp pistons for Forged and get better rods while keeping the factory 1971 steel crank?

Does it have a diaper on it? It should.
Doug
What is the official rule on a diaper? I was under the understanding that it is not needed until you are under 10.0?
I could be wrong though.

Auto Transport Service
Back