• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What to Expect with Max intake

MIKESPOLARA

Local time
5:19 AM
Reaction score
So if installing a max wedge cross ram(Mancini kit) on a decent 440 what can I expect? I would do this primarily for looks and hope I don't kill its drivability. Lets say a 10-1 440 pretty stock, six pack type cam, runs very well. Not expecting performance improvements but hoping for minimal to none bad effects.
Knowing that many before me have done this, what have been your experiences

The comments I've heard over the years were they are a little cold natured. After warm up no problems. But I've never owned one...yet :)

I had no expectations of good drivability on mine, i was using it on a real max with a solid roller cam and two chokeless competition 750 carters.
I would suggest being a little consevative with the carb size,
(600-650) and maybe try to get real carters.
The edelbrocks function the same, but the pivot hole for throttle linkage to the throttle shaft length is different. Makes getting full throttle and full return to idle difficult.

Lean the carbs out, should idle and cruise fine

20210122_155954.jpg
Mine is one of the most drivable cars I own, even with the Racer Brown 509 cam and push button transmission. Throttle response and drivability are excellent. The most power improvement was in the Max Wedge exhaust manifolds, but it is in the total combination.

View attachment 1130667 Mine is one of the most drivable cars I own, even with the Racer Brown 509 cam and push button transmission. Throttle response and drivability are excellent. The most power improvement was in the Max Wedge exhaust manifolds, but it is in the total combination.

Big engines always respond well to better exhaust flow. I'm thinking headers TTI . Are there repop hi perf manis for the 440 heads?

I'm encouraged by lots of the replies. My biggest worry was like using a big tunnel ram with huge plenum which really kills low end performance and can make for a dog.

I'm encouraged by lots of the replies. My biggest worry was like using a big tunnel ram with huge plenum which really kills low end performance and can make for a dog.
I would consider the maxwedge crossram to be a midrange to upper rpm torque boosting manifold, not a high rpm horsepower producer. I would think any drivability problem would be a carb tuning problem, not a much too big manifold.

Auto Transport Service
Back