• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

what trans is this?

daytona kid

Local time
8:56 PM
Reaction score
Just bought this 727? trans and a 440 block for $250, figured it was great deal. Supposedly both from a winnebago. I think the tail shaft can be swapped to the car config, right? and- What is the drum mechanism on the end, an emergency brake?

20200710_182200.jpg

What year transmission or motor? That looks very similar to the parking brake assembly on my 56 Desoto. I didn't realize that they went into the motorhome era.

What year transmission or motor? That looks very similar to the parking brake assembly on my 56 Desoto. I didn't realize that they went into the motorhome era.
I had a fella tell me years ago that one of his favorite tricks was to lock up the E-brake on his 55 Chrysler ay highway speed just to scare his passengers. The story stuck with me.
Mike

I had a fella tell me years ago that one of his favorite tricks was to lock up the E-brake on his 55 Chrysler ay highway speed just to scare his passengers. The story stuck with me.
Mike
That is hard on everything including the people in the car. No seatbelts in 55

I have the same tranny in the garage. Probably a good donor. Most motor homes had low miles and easy lives. The engine on the other hand, yuck. 413 block, probably could bore to 426 but then have fun finding pistons. Crank and rods are good. Everything else to the scrapyard.

Scrape the data stamp area next to the distributor. Most likely it’s a 413.

Some of the early versions of that trans had the 2.77 low gear set in them.

While the valve body and tail of the tranny aren’t interesting, the Winnebago trannys had Hemi 4 pinion planetaries....
32807EE0-07AC-4059-A54C-7971684B1CC4.jpeg

As old as the trans is, and if it got rebuilt and parts replaced, the low gear set and planetaries may have been changed to others. If you get it apart, you'll know for sure. You can also upgrade some of the gear train pieces to the later 46/47/48 series units from the trucks. Same with the drums.

I thought some of the early 60's rv stuff did behind the 413's. Learn something new every day.

Auto Transport Service
Back