• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Trick Flow Head?

wagonman

Local time
3:28 AM
Reaction score
After getting the 440 source heads from checking at the machine shop I have decided not to use them. Looking at the T Flow 240s with the Street CNC port job. Seems like there are a few options. This will be for a 470 with the the Source kit, 14cc dished piston zero decked block. Any thoughts welcome.

What would the ratio be and cam used with trans and gear ratio?

Overall, the basic package of parts listed shouldn’t disappoint.

Still havent decided on the cam, will be a HFT or Solid. Auto trans 323 gears in a Duster. CR will be about 10 to 10.5 depending on gasket. I belive I need to get a flow #s to give to Jones or Porter for a recomendation.

I see they all have angle plugs. Hopefully they will work with the Hooker fenderwell headders.

After getting the 440 source heads from checking at the machine shop I have decided not to use them. Looking at the T Flow 240s with the Street CNC port job. Seems like there are a few options. This will be for a 470 with the the Source kit, 14cc dished piston zero decked block. Any thoughts welcome.

The only difference between the various part numbers is the valve springs. Trick Flow sells a flat tappet head, a hyd roller head and a roller cam head. They don't call them that but that is what they are.

Regarding the 240 and the 270......
Is the main difference in the intake port size? I've learned a few things and a few new products have been released since my last build and I may be interested in switching from my Edelbrocks. With whatever head I run, I should use a compatible intake.
Whatever I do, everything must fit under the stock hood. No Victor height intakes!

The 270 head uses the larger MW port size but almost everything else is the same. The same basic head casting and the same rocker arms. The 270 uses a smaller step over on the CNC porting so the ports are smoother than on the 240.

If you want to learn more about the Trick Flow heads you should read the articles on my website. I wrote 8 magazine articles on the Trick Flow heads using over 100 dyno tests. I tested manifolds, carbs, headers, cams, valve springs, etc. I think I did every test possible with those heads.

http://arengineering.com/tech/

Thank you, Andy. I read your articles in the magazines but was not aware that you had others published. I will check it out.

If you want to learn more about the Trick Flow heads you should read the articles on my website.
I love reading the Hot Rod Network online articles!
I didn't realize we had a celebrity author on our forum. :thumbsup: :lowdown: :drinks:
Andy, if you don't mind, I may PM you about an article I recall on a motorhome 440 that wound up in the 680 ft lb torque range, and maybe a few questions.
Not now, but in the future. Ok?

I love reading the Hot Rod Network online articles!
I didn't realize we had a celebrity author on our forum. :thumbsup: :lowdown: :drinks:
Andy, if you don't mind, I may PM you about an article I recall on a motorhome 440 that wound up in the 680 ft lb torque range, and maybe a few questions.
Not now, but in the future. Ok?

I don't recall ever working on a motorhome 440. I've built 500 inch stroker motors that made that much torque but I'm not sure they would be suitable for a motor home.

In any case, the Trick Flow 240 heads are a great product. They require some special parts such as the longer head bolts and longer rocker shaft studs but all of those parts are available. I also developed the batwing intake gasket setup for guys who need to get every last drop of power out of the heads. I don't think a person can go wrong with the Trick Flow heads, especially on a stroker engine.

I’d get the one with the smallest springs for that application.
They can be shimmed for more pressure if the particular cam you end up with warrants it.

I don't recall ever working on a motorhome 440. I've built 500 inch stroker motors that made that much torque but I'm not sure they would be suitable for a motor home.
Lol ! The stroker they built came OUT OF a motor home.
I was debating over only 2 heads for my future build, the TF 240s and 270s, which until just recently I was "sure" was going to be a stroker, but now I don't know. Anyway for what I want with keeping my Chrysler/Edelbrock 6bbl dual plane aluminum intake, the TF 240s are ideal. I may ask you about those gaskets though:
I also developed the batwing intake gasket setup for guys who need to get every last drop of power out of the heads.

Assuming your 470 is a low deck, the selection of intake manifolds for a 270 head is ... one. And it may not fit under your hood.
With a standard 240 port, selection is a bit better.

Chrysler/Edelbrock 6bbl dual plane aluminum intake, the TF 240s are ideal
My future low deck route.
With a certain item I’m dying to use below.

C8829089-B2D2-4DA4-BF2A-476E89E35330.jpeg
FD386761-9804-49C9-9F4B-64ABB7622C27.jpeg

Thanks rumblefish360. I've seen you post that before.
I will have my current factory 6bbl N96 setup. My hood scoop supporting mechanisms, etc aren't complete yet, and if I move forward with a nitrous spray plate system, (I have already got a Nitrous Express plate to play with) I would mod the hood scoop and whatever other parts would need surgery to make the fresh air/closed off options both work.
My Promax modded Holley 2bbl carbs have given me problems ever since I got them back about a month ago, but I haven't found time to work on a solution. If I pissed away $1,100 on all of the parts and labor, which I honestly think I didn't and they are going to wind up awesome, but if not, a FiTech 3x2 system or F&B direct port injection system is my next move. Either of those 3 options work with the factory air cleaner.
How would TrickFlow 240s affect my hood clearance, if at all?

I’d get the one with the smallest springs for that application.
They can be shimmed for more pressure if the particular cam you end up with warrants it.
Thanks that is what I thought. Pulled the Trigger today should be here Friday. Excited as a Baby in a Topless Bar..

Thanks rumblefish360. I've seen you post that before.
I will have my current factory 6bbl N96 setup. My hood scoop supporting mechanisms, etc aren't complete yet, and if I move forward with a nitrous spray plate system, (I have already got a Nitrous Express plate to play with) I would mod the hood scoop and whatever other parts would need surgery to make the fresh air/closed off options both work.
My Promax modded Holley 2bbl carbs have given me problems ever since I got them back about a month ago, but I haven't found time to work on a solution. If I pissed away $1,100 on all of the parts and labor, which I honestly think I didn't and they are going to wind up awesome, but if not, a FiTech 3x2 system or F&B direct port injection system is my next move. Either of those 3 options work with the factory air cleaner.
How would TrickFlow 240s affect my hood clearance, if at all?
Should not affect any hood issues. N.O. is still on the plate late Nov. If your car is down we can still chew the fat. Staying at the Roosevelt, heard they have a good bar!

Auto Transport Service
Back