• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What type of adhesive to use on interior insulation?

idrivemopar

Local time
5:29 PM
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone knows what type of 3M adhesive is used for things like insulation pads, shoddy pads, and roof insulation. Originally a yellow type adhesive was used, does anyone know what to use or recommend for these types of applications?

I recommend the 3M carpet/trim adhesive they sell at AutoZone which is basically rubber cement in a spray can (also used for pool table cloth). Works great (just used some today)

Do you mean the 3M general adhesive or 3M 22 Carpet adhesive or 3M 08074 Spray Trim Adhesive? So many to choose from, and need some thing that will with stand heat, being on the fire wall and what not.

Do you mean the 3M general adhesive or 3M 22 Carpet adhesive or 3M 08074 Spray Trim Adhesive? So many to choose from, and need some thing that will with stand heat, being on the fire wall and what not.

I use the 3M trim Adhesive.Good stuff

3M General or Trim Adhesive will be fine. If you look over the back of the can it will tell you if it is made for heavy medium or light material.

Success, got the shoddy pad installed today, Thanks to Purplepeeper, went to autozone, found Carpet and Fabric adhesive, works great, pictured below, that pad will not be going any where for a long time. One thing i did, as you might see on the drivers side is the pad goes over the support bar there, which is how it was when i stripped the car, its not correct, but what was done at the factory, so i decided to keep it the same, instead of going under the bar.

Attachments

• IMAG1034small.jpg
    IMAG1034small.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 202
  • IMAG1035.jpg
    IMAG1035.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 222
Good deal! Love it when things work to our benefit, so many times it doesn't with different things. Cant wait to see the finished car, i follow along when you post in your thread.. Hopefully by summer you'll be back on the road in a new again RR! Good luck.

I've used 3M with good luck but the "sticky stuff" adhesive from summit is even better, it's made just for installing insulation.

Auto Transport Service
Back