• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What type of bolt heads are these ?

pearljam724

Local time
1:41 AM
Reaction score
Mounts power steering gear box. They have quite a few more points. Are they considered 12/14/16 point bolts. Something along those lines ?

C1C081DC-06D1-4A59-ABF1-2E95CD54DFFC.jpeg

1/2" 12 point....ya don't need any do ya? Most socket sets are 12 pts.

1/2" 12 point....ya don't need any do ya? Most socket sets are 12 pts.
Thank you, cranky. I checked. It just so happens, that I do. 1/2 drive, fits well. I assumed looking at the heads they were a special security type bolt head. You don’t see many 12 point heads on average stuff. I feel stupid, but oh well. Lol !

Used to part cars during the 70's and when I saw them for the first time, thought they were something that I didn't have a socket for lol. Have 2 extras but don't have the conical washers that are usually on them.....at least I think they're supposed to have that kind of washer but the one in your pic doesn't appear to have one. That was 40+ plus years ago!

Used to part cars during the 70's and when I saw them for the first time, thought they were something that I didn't have a socket for lol. Have 2 extras but don't have the conical washers that are usually on them.....at least I think they're supposed to have that kind of washer but the one in your pic doesn't appear to have one. That was 40+ plus years ago!
Yeah, it doesn’t appear to have washers under them in the pic. But, there is. What are special about the washers ?

The ones I have on my car are conical.....

I'm in the process of changing to a Borgeson on my 74Duster and I have 6 point socket head bolts on original box. Also my 71 Cuda had the 6 pointers. Somebody probably replaced the original to those 12 point heads. Just makes things more difficult. I had an 83 K car when P/S pump started leaking and the only way to remove it was I had to find a claw foot 17 MM wrench,which wasn't too common back then . I'll never like the idea we went to metric on cars.

I'm in the process of changing to a Borgeson on my 74Duster and I have 6 point socket head bolts on original box. Also my 71 Cuda had the 6 pointers. Somebody probably replaced the original to those 12 point heads. Just makes things more difficult. I had an 83 K car when P/S pump started leaking and the only way to remove it was I had to find a claw foot 17 MM wrench,which wasn't too common back then . I'll never like the idea we went to metric on cars.
Finding 12 point cap screws for these things are not exactly easy so why would someone do that? My 66 Belvedere had the 12 point screws and I'm 99.99999% :)D) certain that it had never been apart before. Don't know what the K cars had since I never parted one out but my Belvedere had all the paperwork in the car along with the original window sticker too and nothing showed the steering box had ever been replaced. Made me wonder how **** the original owner was to save all that stuff for a /6 car....

No 12's Cranky as the OP showed. I MAY have added the lock washers back in '79/80 when my steering box tried to fall off one Friday night.. don't remember..
beerestoration2015-2016 1753.JPG

Kinda confirms what the factory did lol

Auto Transport Service
Back