• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What type of paint to use on chrome emblems?

RT6PK

Local time
6:42 PM
Reaction score
Can anyone tell what kind of paint to use to touch up the black accent detail on hood ornaments and emblems? See the attached photo. I want to re-do the black on hood ornament and "PLYMOUTH" lettering on the hood of my '67 Belvedere. My concern is the paint flaking off an account of paint not sticking to chrome very well. (The emblem in the photo is not mine. If mine looked this good, we wouldn't be having this conversation.)

fs_1967_Plymouth_Belvedere_II_hood_ornament.jpg

I used a small tin of black enamel paint with a small modelling brush for mine. I carefully sanded the inside bits that needed painting first - its lasted well.
20190813_214452.jpg

One shot Sign Painters Enamel works good for this stuff. Its a tough paint that will hold up pretty good. Tons of colors.
upload_2019-8-13_7-59-22.png

I was gonna recommend one shot like 91 r/t. It’s what I’ve used for years doing pinstripes and lettering . Ive done a few emblems and it holds up very well.

Hell, we did my steering wheel in the gloss black one shot and its holding up awesome on that. That gets more abuse for sure than the emblems with my hands being on it all the time.

Anybody have a reference for the r-w-blue on my 63 SF emblems? Would it be the same as the basic MOPAR car colors?

On an old moorsickle I used Testors model paint. It looked good and lasted.

Though thicker pieces aren't always conducive to the process, I've had good luck powder coating them, even in multiple colors. (Matchbook was included to show the scale.)

FB_IMG_1613149120341.jpg

FB_IMG_1613149136621.jpg

While shooting the pics the battery died. When I got back to my bench I found this ... he can be such an a$$hole LOL
FB_IMG_1613149098750.jpg

Thankfully in the 11 years since, he's back to Mopars now.

I did some Buick emblems using Testors Enamel paint, looked great. These centercaps are lexan and I cleaned all the flaking paint off them and painted them on the back so the color would show through. Look like brand new! The Gold background was hard to match and I think I got pretty darn close.

Very cost-effective!

IMG_0257.JPG

RGAZ

Auto Transport Service
Back