• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

what would you do -my boss

davek

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:06 PM
Reaction score
So my boss is losing it. His family has a mental illness but he wont amit it. So recently he unfriended my son on facebook because of politics.He even unfriended his sister inlaw. Ive worked and run his company for 16 years. He will not say he is ever wrong and he truly is a great guy. Hes a believer and my son called him out and that is what caused the problem. He watched my son grow up to be a man.I watched all his kids grow up. My son is the one you want to date your daughter. Hard working doest drink and is true,unfortunately he is like his dad and will speak his mind but respectfully. Im getting tired of all the BS. Family is everything to me Im 55 and just want to enjoy life. My son says its all good ,but is it. Should I start looking for another job? Do I turn the cheek? Do I just let it go? I have enough going on raising my grandson at 16 and lost my wife 5 years ago. Im so dam tied, thanks for letting me vent.

So my boss is losing it. His family has a mental illness but he wont amit it. So recently he unfriended my son on facebook because of politics.He even unfriended his sister inlaw. Ive worked and run his company for 16 years. He will not say he is ever wrong and he truly is a great guy. Hes a believer and my son called him out and that is what caused the problem. He watched my son grow up to be a man.I watched all his kids grow up. My son is the one you want to date your daughter. Hard working doest drink and is true,unfortunately he is like his dad and will speak his mind but respectfully. Im getting tired of all the BS. Family is everything to me Im 55 and just want to enjoy life. My son says its all good ,but is it. Should I start looking for another job? Do I turn the cheek? Do I just let it go? I have enough going on raising my grandson at 16 and lost my wife 5 years ago. Im so dam tied, thanks for letting me vent.
That sounds like a tough spot for sure, Dave. I'm sorry you find yourself in it.
As you know, though - only you can judge whether to stay at that gig or not. None of us are there and knee deep
in the situation, but I have learned over decades that it's best to keep work and personal life as far apart as
possible.
Yes, I know you're past the point of being able to do so here - but IMO both "sides" of that situation are being
unfair to you by putting you in the middle of their disagreement.
Lastly, online sites such as FB give folks the easy opportunity sometimes to get into disputes that drag others
into it even when they don't want to be.

Ive never done FB because I would call you out on it,no one wants to hear the truth. They only want you to agree with them.

I never shy away from being a Christian at work, but do shy away from 'mixing it up' about religion or politics where my paycheck comes from.
It's great you've gotten to know families well like that over the years, but sounds like your son got into something that may not have been his place... Even as adults
But only you can tell whether your values are being compromised by the situation.

Ive never done FB because I would call you out on it,no one wants to hear the truth. They only want you to agree with them.
Facebook is everyones business. Its like a real life tabloid with true fatal consequences If ones not careful. Its a site where zuckerbergs of the world cant mind there own business and drag every one into the mud. Lifes to short for that crap.

I've seen good friend s of many years go different ways over political stuff!
Hell a good friend of mine and my wife she will no longer speak to us as we're on "different sides " I told her does it really matter ? Were friends and we have fun together it's really simple don't bring up political stuff !
She said no once you come to your senses let me know!
Back and forth about who should wake up and boom haven't spoken to her in months!

I would stay out of it . Do your job and go home! If the boss makes a issue out of it . Let it be and do your job don't let it get to you !
If it becomes a problem look for a job before you quit but don't tell him f off or anything just give a 2 week that way he knows he didn't win!
When I was younger I told may people to shove it up there ***!
I regret a few but not all !

Again if he doesn't want to talk to your kid no big deal that's his deal !

Now if he's harassing your kid or threatening him that's way different . That calls for banging his wife or braking his jaw !

Good luck

The country is so divided right now that trying to talk politics is impossible with those who don't think like you. They will disown friends,family and coworkers over it!

I HATE BOOKFACE. This is one of the reasons why.

He unfriended your son on Facebook. In terms of your son, is that the extent of that concern? Has your son & your boss had any interaction beyond that?

If not, I would simply continue on, and listen to my son for any unusual or inappropriate feedback originating from this instance. If nothing, then the unfriending was probably for the best, and will probably be the end of those concerns. I don't know if what your son told him was inappropriate or simply avoidable, but pairing that with someone who "never admits he's wrong" sounds like a situation where I would certainly stand by my son & assure nothing more takes place.

It sounds like your boss is currently dealing with a new situation, and the manner in which you describe him is probably more visible than usual because of whatever he has to cope with. That may define him for some time.

If your son and him stay apart, and this continues as your issue only, then you will need to decide what it is you are willing to tolerate and if you can continue to stand by him. I have a feeling if you just keep it real simple, you can probably get by, and he'll eventually acknowledge you for being there.

David V

First thing with politics; as soon as you realize you are different sides you have to agree to disagree and NOT talk politics bc neither will ever convince the other and very quickly it just becomes a tit for tat pissing contest. No one has a complete story or any real facts anymore so it becomes nothing but opinion as both sides can cite polar opposite sides of the same issue and cite sources (normally media or even the internet), but the net result is a lot of bad feelings and resentment.

As to your boss, well that is a matter of tolerance and acceptance. If you can live with it, then so be it but given the fact that you cam on here to talk about suggests you can't. As I see it, you have 2 options; #1 look for a new job and/or #2 sit him down and have an open and honest conversation with him. If he values you as an employee and/or friend then you should be able to work it out. How he reacts will give you your answer.

Oh and F&^* facebook... nothing good ever comes out of it.

Facebook can be a harsh mistress.

Stick at the job Dave...you've done nothing wrong.....just let his BS go in one ear, and out the other.
Your boss sounds like a real tool. :jackoff:

Like Kiwi said,, you’ve done nothing wrong. Talking politics and religion nowadays,, you’re just wasting oxygen. I’m tired of arguing and fighting. At this point I just want to skate. While your son sounds like a great kid,, is it really wise to mess with your boss? At this point in your career? Those social media sites are the worst friggan thing invented.

Beer.jpg
DO it 1.png

Like Kiwi said,, you’ve done nothing wrong. Talking politics and religion nowadays,, you’re just wasting oxygen. I’m tired of arguing and fighting. At this point I just want to skate. While your son sounds like a great kid,, is it really wise to mess with your boss? At this point in your career? Those social media sites are the worst friggan thing invented.

THIS......... nothing good ever comes from facebook......and your kid put you in a bad spot

and I'll take it a step further........ men do NOT belong on face book

Man, I soooo Agree..... I've got a friend I've known for 30+ years that just doesn't get that.... He's lost more friends for posting stupid ****... I hear about it but since I've never been on facebook I don't see it... Good Dude but not smart enough to stop posting...

Jobs are hard to come by.Your 55 ? How long have you worked for the company ? Employers interviewing like to overlook people in their 50's now a days.Starting over is tough.

I WAS using Facebook...for a little while. Then I found out that my OPINION, which I voiced with little regard, (and after I alienated some of my own family members), was absolutely UNIMPORTANT.
Many times what we consider "the truth", ain't everybody's perception of the truth.
At this stage of my life, I don't have a lot of real friends, and I'm not keen on losing any more.
I no longer engage in ANY social media platforms, and the old saying about "politics and religion" still holds true. Good luck!

I preface this by saying I haven't been able to teach my sons anything since they were about 11 or 12.
But if your son still takes instruction, you may want to teach him not to bite the hand that feeds you.

My boss is like family,we watched our kids grow up together. We spend holidays together and birthdays. Thats why I just dont understand why he just didnt let this go. His whole family knows they have a illness but he just denies it. My boss has not talked to his parents in over 14 years. My son did no wrong he just said what people had no balls to say. With my boss he believes he is never wrong.

Auto Transport Service
Back