• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whats a good mini starter for my 1969 RR 383?

mpro69rr

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:30 PM
Reaction score
Well after taking everyone suggestions on what's draining my battery I have come to the conclusion that its the starter. I tested everything else and disconnected everything except the starter, and the battery still drained. So I think that's the culprit!

What's a good mini starter for my 1969 Roadrunner 383? I need one that's small so it will clear the headers. Thanks for the suggestions!

Denso, some time the cable hits the side of the block, so check that out

Did you unhook the Alternator wires?? I have a hard time believing it's your starter shorted out and you haven't set the thing on fire yet!!

Did you unhook the Alternator wires?? I have a hard time believing it's your starter shorted out and you haven't set the thing on fire yet!!

Yes, unhooked the alternator wires and it still drained the battery, putting on the terminals they sparked.

You don't have a volt gauge wired to constant power source do ya ?

Starter, go to parts store and get one for a 95 Dakota with a 318 ...

There's a mini and a mini-mini. I like the first version. 91 D150 with a 318 was what I used the last time, not sure what the cut off date is (92 for the magnum or later?). You may need to remove the lug adapter for more clearance but it's no big deal. You'll see what I mean when you're looking at one.

Well tonight I got the starter out and hooked up the battery, no draw and everything worked! The starter was bad and causing the parasitic draw! I was surprised that a starter could draw that much amperage, when I hooked up the terminals it would spark real bad. Thank you to all the people that helped me figure it out! By going by your suggestions I found the problem!

Auto Transport Service
Back