• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whats a good normal oil pressure for a 440

50-55 with a stock pump. Don’t really need more.

My apps it was just good to spin it up and oil its old things in a perception.

Rule of thumb is 10psi per 1,000 rpm. Plus or minus a little. But a fresh build w cold oil using a drill to prime. Gets pretty high.

Rule of thumb is 10psi per 1,000 rpm. Plus or minus a little. But a fresh build w cold oil using a drill to prime. Gets pretty high.
Love it doing straight 30 I am impressed you know the rules.

Keep in mind that pressure is a byproduct of volume. If you have sufficient pressure with a stock pump, going to a HV will yield nothing other than putting a strain on the pump drive shaft and gear and using up horsepower. If you've installed a HV pump, my suggestion is to try a cleaned up stocker and see what it produces in the way of pressure. If you have 20 psi at idle and 10 psi for every 1000 rpm you're good. A HV pump should be a last resort.

Keep in mind that pressure is a byproduct of volume. If you have sufficient pressure with a stock pump, going to a HV will yield nothing other than putting a strain on the pump drive shaft and gear and using up horsepower. If you've installed a HV pump, my suggestion is to try a cleaned up stocker and see what it produces in the way of pressure. If you have 20 psi at idle and 10 psi for every 1000 rpm you're good. A HV pump should be a last resort.
You may want check my garage a tad different.

This is always been my rule of thumb.

Anything over 50 at hwy cruising speed is pretty much redundant

ps, My street hemi has a light that goes off while cranking , worst case immediately at start up and I have no idea what it has for pressure ( I may ck it this fall just to satisfy my curiosity )

I run straight 30 weight oil. with a bottle of ZDDP additive and K+N or WIX filter , depending on availability.

Last edited:
I would say no a melling hv is a good pump and its the spring you do for the pressure.

This is always been my rule of thumb.

Anything over 50 at hwy cruising speed is pretty much redundant

ps, My street hemi has a light that goes off while cranking , worst case immediately at start up and I have no idea what it has for pressure ( I may ck it this fall just to satisfy my curiosity )

I run straight 30 weight oil. with a bottle of ZDDP additive and K+N or WIX filter , depending on availability.
Next thing is timing I want 34 degrees

Auto Transport Service
Back