• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's it worth?

Hilljack68

Local time
1:56 PM
Reaction score
Just when I decided "No more projects"...

I have an opportunity to get my hands on a '70 Cuda BB/4spd car. I has no engine, tranny or fender tag, so it won't be as collectible or show-worthy as a documented, numbers-matching car. It's in an enclosed barn with concrete floor, but it's in pieces. Body and under-carriage are solid, but some small dings and rust spots will require a little body work. The interior is almost all there, although scattered throughout the barn, and would certainly need restoring.

The owner is a friend of mine, and isn't sure what it's worth. He's had it sitting back there for at least 20 years. Like I said, he's my friend, so if I do make an offer, I want to make a fair one. Any thoughts as to a fair offer for the car?

Can't give an answer as to worth, but, wish you good luck. Sounds like a good car to start with. Tough trying to deal with friends. ruffcut

My initial thought was $10,000 since I really like '70 Cuda models; and I especially like 4 speed ones with big blocks. However, it is a roller and sounds like a lot of time/work...a labor of love...so, maybe $3k to $5k is fair to both the buyer and seller. I have absolutely no idea what is the real (sane) market value. Old cars like this one evoke a lot of emotions in some people.

Why do the fender tags get pulled ?
That has allways drove me nuts.
It sounds like a real nice project, but disassembled and scattered around a barn.
Before talking $ I would see how much of the car can be rounded up and what is missing.
If it is complete minus engine and transmission I would guess it between 7 and 10. Keep in mind you will drop another $ 20k into it by the time its finished. All in for aprox 30k on a non numbers 70 cuda, I have heard of worse deals.

It's worth about eleventy billion according to prices on Facebook Marketplace these days.

For comparison for you, the guy I bought my Road Runner from also had a 71 Challenger for sale. It was a 318 car but he'd swapped a rebuilt 440 from a truck into it. Car was a primered rolling shell with major body work completed, completely disassembled except the motor mounted to the K frame. No fender tag, interior was in pieces and in boxes...a scattered mess that I couldn't even think about trying to inventory. He wanted $10,500.

Depending on how complete it is, how the body really is, and if it’s a U code or just a 383, $10-20k? Is it a Dana 60 rear end? Check that vin, maybe it’s hemi car? Then the price goes up from there

Just a 383:rolleyes:
:rofl:

Depends how complete it is and true condition. It's not a $3k car unless it is rusted to oblivion and missing everything except the heater box mounting nuts. Go to E-bodies.org and look around to get a better feel for what 70 Cuda stuff is worth. Rough guess without more information and photos is anywhere from $12k-$20k assuming it's a 383 N-code shell if the rust issues are very minor and it's all there including grille, interior in decent shape etc.

After some thought, I would let the current owner put price on it if he is really willing to sell. JMO ruffcut

Ask him what he thinks is reasonable. It might be lower than your offer!

First rule of buying: ALWAYS have the seller come up with the first number. You need to gauge their level of interest in the item. If they love it a lot more than you do...it keeps you from insulting someone with a low offer. If "one mans trash is another mans treasure" and they just want it out of the way...you could score a great deal and they'd be happy as well.

'70 Cuda's are friggin golden; I would think 10 or 12k might be low balling or a wunnerful price if most of it is there and a solid body yet. These go for big bucks even cloned 318's. You can put another 30k+ in it and still come out ahead...if re-sale value is a concern. Yeah - being a friend, as posted, let him make his asking price - wish he was my friend...lol

Wow, you need to see if it's a N or U code. If it's as solid as you say and all the parts are there. You are going to pony up. Unless your buddy is clueless. Those car's bring strong money done. Especially U code. That gets me too why is fender tag's always missing.

Somewhere in the universe there's a huge collection of fender tags!ruffcut

If he owns it and has kept it all these years taking up space, he has some idea of what he wants. Ofcourse I had a friend in High School that was given a 66 SS 396 Chevelle in his senior year by his father. He drove it for about 6-7 years and it was put into the barn. About 20 years down the road in the early 90's he sold it to a guy that wanted some farm implements he had that saw it accidentally. He took his offer which was only a few hundred over what his dad had paid for it. You just never know, but I would certainly try to get some kind of value out of him.

Little rust, big block 4 speed, complete (but apart) minus engine and trans? $10k to $12k would be a fair offer. Have your buddy give you a price first. See where he is at.

Auto Transport Service
Back