• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's next - not starting 440 with Demon - HELP!

trip

Local time
1:56 PM
Reaction score
My 440CI with electronic ignition won't start, gas is about 3 months old, gas is getting to
Demon carb - already disconnected fuel line to test, Demon side floats look fine -
about 1/2 way, tried pouring some gas directly into carb, about 5 times, got one huge
backfire, tries to catch, but nothing, my question is looking to spark problems what is
next logical things to test? Can you bench test a coil?
Trip
66 Coronet

Did it run with a different carb? Is the distributor 180 degrees out?

You can pull the wire off the coil and have someone crank it to check for spark. Just lay the coil wire end close to the intake. When cranking the spark should jump. Make sure there is no gas spilled. Did you just put this carb on? Check around for a hose off or some other vacuum leak.

easy way to check for spark is a timming light.since you are getting fuel check firing order and rotor indexing on the comp stroke in the distrib.

The HEI modules have a history of failing. I had one die on my Duster just sitting in the garage for 3 months. I always keep a spare.

Sounds like a ignition issue, as said above check coil for spark then same at each plug, are plugs fouled? have you pulled and cleaned them? got a gas can run down to the nearest station and get a gallon of 91 pour a little in the carb or fill the bowls then try it.

Sounds like a ignition issue, as said above check coil for spark then same at each plug, are plugs fouled? have you pulled and cleaned them? got a gas can run down to the nearest station and get a gallon of 91 pour a little in the carb or fill the bowls then try it.
Do I just need to remove the front bowl on a Demon Carb?

Do I just need to remove the front bowl on a Demon Carb?

No u can just use the inlet side of the fuel pump right into gas can with a length of hose or just drain and refill your tank, this way u can rule out the pump as a problem too. Crank car over check for fuel, see if jets are squirting the new gas down. If that is all good move on to electrical issue.

I tried pouring some fresh Snoco 93 into carb - makes a little sputter after 10 seconds of cranking, but quickly dies. I pulled
a plug - they are Autolite ARC123 Racing - it is a very recent plug, it is black, wit black deposits on it - but gap was
still present. This car is never raced, just the occasional cruise in - your thoughts appreciated.

I don't think is a fuel issue. As suggested check for spark. I had a wire in the plug on my ignition box go bad when it was sitting for awhile. The wire broke at the connector in the plug. I had fuel in the car for several months and it always starts. I just go fill up when I get the car out.

I tried pouring some fresh Snoco 93 into carb - makes a little sputter after 10 seconds of cranking, but quickly dies. I pulled
a plug - they are Autolite ARC123 Racing - it is a very recent plug, it is black, wit black deposits on it - but gap was
still present. This car is never raced, just the occasional cruise in - your thoughts appreciated.
if you are saying it ran and stalled out then there is a fuel issue.either bad gas or poss bad fuel pump or even carb flooding the motor.pull your oil dipstick and make sure the oil dosnt smell like fuel.could indicate a coulple of diff problems.
black plugs normally meen a rich carb situation.could also be oil deposits.try changing the plugs.

It does not start, but after some cranking will make a little sputter, then nothing. I checked coil its ok. What are the symptoms of a bad ballast resister?
ALSO can you boys suggest a spark plug - it has Autolite AR23 Racing plugs in it, that are nasty fouled looking?
440CI, Mopar 557/296 Cam, Roller Rockers, 10.3 Compression, Demon 850 Carb - I want a plug for street use,
I don't care about racing it.

My Demon carb fouls the plugs if I don't get it started right away and keep RPM up until the engine warms up. If your plugs look as bad as they sound, I'd start with a fresh set of plugs and see what happens.

The thing is, your going to be more apt to foul plugs putting around on the street. You will probably have to experiment a little to find the best plug. I didn't look up your plug but it is probably on the cold side. You pulled one, was it wet? You might just need a new set of plugs with a hotter heat range.

- - - Updated - - -

What ignition system do you have?

Well, the 1969 FSO for a 440 motor states the following plug: Champion J11Y or Mopar P-3-4P.

Possible spark plug alternatives for Champion J11Y:

AC Delco 44S
Accel 134
Accel 137
Autolite XS85
Autolite 73
Autolite 85
Beru 14-8F
Bosch W8FC
Bosch W7FC
Brisk K17Y
Denso W20P-U
Denso W16PU
Denso W16PR-U
Denso stk 5045
Eyquem 500CS
Iskra FS45P
Motorcraft A42
NGK 3011
NGK R5670-5
NGK BP5S
NGK R5670-6
NGK stk 2746
NGK stk 3011

Hey Trip, was anything done to the engine before this problem started? Or did you just try to start it one day , after sitting? Sitting for how long if this was the case?

Car has been sitting for 3-4 months. Has Mopar electrictronic ignition. 10.3 to 1 compression, Demon 850 carb, Mopar 557/296 cam - 440CI - has always run rich - plugs are fouled, very black, slightly wet, I have: tested fuel to carb, poured fresh gas
directly into carb, tried nasty instant start, tested coil, retarded timing a tiny weeny bit, now I will try new plugs, local
Advance Auto did not have the NGK's - so settled for ACDelco R43S, I don't know _ _ _ _ about hot or cold plugs, and what is better for "puttering" around - what is less likely to foul, or which brand you boys prefer. I will try installing these when it warms up a little, maybe tomorrow - then report in. Nothing would make me happier than to crank and have the bad boy fire right up - things are bad, I am a Redskins fan, Coronet won't run.
little

Auto Transport Service
Back