• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's the best lawn weed killer for beginners?

themechanic

Oklahoma is OK
Local time
5:38 AM
Reaction score
Years ago my neighbor had a beautiful Tiff Bermuda grass sod lawn. They mowed it at 1/4" height every other day with a greens reel mower and it was so smooth you could putt on it.

Fast forward to today the neighbors sold the house and several renters later I see the world's worst Bermuda grass lawn.

Kids are renting it now with no knowledge or desire to get the lawn back in shape. I approached the owner about teaching the young man renter about lawn care for beginners. He agreed.

The first task is kill all the weeds. It has crabgrass, clover, yellow nutsedge, dandelions and a veritable salad of other weeds.

I'm leaning towards Spectracide Weedstop or Roundup for southern lawns.

What's your top pick for post-emergent herbicide for southern lawns?

Round up! That **** works great when it’s hot outside!

I'm not a fan of putting chemicals in the ground.

Try using a propane torch, also shovel. Don't use flame if your area is fire restricted or fire can get away.

I was being a smart ***. I have no clue what to use to kill off the unwanted weeds. Hell, I killed some of my wife’s plant’s thinking they were weeds.

2,4-D Amine
The two products I am considering have the following ingredients:

ACTIVE INGREDIENTS
2,4-D, dimethylamine salt 3.74%
Quinclorac 1.79%
Dicamba, dimethylamine salt 0.43%
Sulfentrazone 0.22%
Other Ingredients 93.82%
Total100.00%

Does Agent Orange kill grass? Asking for a friend.

A few of these guys.
goats-750x580.jpg

We use 24D at work, but its a pain, people can smell it a mile away and complain their kids are gonna die.

If you are trying to kill the weeds and but not the grass use "Weed B Gone". If you want to kill everything and start over use Round -up, (EXPENSIVE) or any glyphosate based herbicide (less expensive),,,,

Tenacity is supposed to be good to kill the weeds without too much damage to the grass? I plan to try it this year.

Don't use ground clear like Arsenol / Alligare Imazapyr It will kill everything, grass, weeds, trees....

That is absolutely the quickest, Roger! LOL! I was going to say Goat but ESOXER beat me to it!
:rofl:

Years ago my neighbor had a beautiful Tiff Bermuda grass sod lawn. They mowed it at 1/4" height every other day with a greens reel mower and it was so smooth you could putt on it.

Maybe they should get a life...

Kids are renting it now with no knowledge or desire to get the lawn back in shape. I approached the owner about teaching the young man renter about lawn care for beginners. He agreed.

I can't help it...:rofl:

I couldn't give a rats *** about my lawn. What a waste of time.

Auto Transport Service
Back