• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's the best lawn weed killer for beginners?

I shot a video of me treating my lawn against weeds just yesterday:
GrossEthicalBudgie-size_restricted.gif

Years ago my neighbor had a beautiful Tiff Bermuda grass sod lawn. They mowed it at 1/4" height every other day with a greens reel mower and it was so smooth you could putt on it.

Fast forward to today the neighbors sold the house and several renters later I see the world's worst Bermuda grass lawn.

Kids are renting it now with no knowledge or desire to get the lawn back in shape. I approached the owner about teaching the young man renter about lawn care for beginners. He agreed.

The first task is kill all the weeds. It has crabgrass, clover, yellow nutsedge, dandelions and a veritable salad of other weeds.

I'm leaning towards Spectracide Weedstop or Roundup for southern lawns.

What's your top pick for post-emergent herbicide for southern lawns?
I use the same method Carcinogen
suggests. 3 seconds burning each
weed is all it takes. You don't need
to burn 'em to a crisp.
Also, to get the Bermuda grass to fill in,
water every other day for about 30 minutes.
Wait for it to come to seed before mowing
and set the cutting height to 3 inches until
the lawn is well established. The extra
height helps to retain moisture from the
morning dew, adding moisture back in to
the soil.
Image05302013104236.jpg

Last edited:
CONCRETE or ASPHALT
That stuff conducts heat.
I drove past my neighbors massive lawn - about the same size as mine, planted by a contractor and well maintained. Looks just as shitty as mine does. I like my big shade trees but don't have to do anything for them unless they come down. Raking leaves in the fall? Don't be silly. Usually the wind blows them in to my other neighbors yard.

I use the same method Carcinogen
suggests. 3 seconds burning each
weed is all it takes. You don't need
to burn 'em to a crisp.
Also, to get the Bermuda grass to fill in,
water every other day for about 30 minutes.
Wait for it to come to seed before mowing
and set the cutting height to 3 inches until
the lawn is well established. The extra
height helps to retain moisture from the
morning dew, adding moisture back in to
the soil.
View attachment 1307487
Hybrid Bermuda sod produces sterile seeds.

I sprayed the weeds a few weeks ago with MSMA. The renter had not watered and can't afford to. All the weeds are dead except for a few I missed because ut was windy when I had a chance to spray. We have had very dry weather but the fine-bladed Bermuda grass is re-taking the lawn, as expected.

That's why it's called the Alpha grass.

I couldn't give a rats *** about my lawn. What a waste of time
If it wasn't for the mud being worse I would not have a lawn (if you want to call mine that).
The fix for bad neighbors and their lawns is, no neighbors!

If it wasn't for the nud being worse I would not have a lawn (if you want to call mine that)
I looked at houses that had a lot of evergreens so not much lawn but I like this house so much I didn't let a lawn be a deal killer But I don't do anything other than cut it when I get a chance.

I looked at houses that had a lot of evergreens so not much lawn but I like this house so much I didn't let a lawn be a deal killer But I don't do anything other than cut it when I get a chance.
I started parking cars and trucks, and building building so less to mow.

I started parking cars and trucks, and building building so less to mow.
I have a trailer, built a building with a concrete apron, and still don't give a **** about the rest of it. The neighbor spends a lot of time on his but doesn't look much better for the time he puts in...the guy obviously has nothing better to do.

Distilled white vinegar kills just about everything. Use it to spot treat weeds.

Hybrid Bermuda sod produces sterile seeds.
I realize this. The reason to let the grass
"go to seed" is to retain more moisture
during watering. Here's a pic of a problem
area in my back yard. It's ready to be
mowed to a 3" height. This was a bare dirt
patch 3 weeks ago.
20220704_141425.jpg

I sprayed the weeds with tenacity last week. They have grown pretty good since then, but are starting to turn a lighter shade of green.
Not sure how long it takes for the stuff to kill the weeds?
Mine took about a week to finally turn brown. That stuff seems to work well.

Most may already know this but for those that don't it's best to spray weeds when they are actively growing.

Auto Transport Service
Back