• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's the correct factory color of the latch tray for a Sbird ?

repsol17

Local time
6:56 AM
Reaction score
Hello all,

Gonna pose this question over here as well, hopefully with some better luck.

I'm wanting to refresh the front latch tray on my Bird. It's original and has never been painted. It appears to be somewhat of a semi to satin black. I know colors can change a bit specially over 50 years.

Anyone know what the assembly line color was or what percentage of black ?

Thanks

"Chassis" like kinda semi gloss, kinda flat?

What I did with mine before the 50th, as the gloss it was painted previously was certainly wrong..
superbirdcleanup20182019 1001.JPG
superbirdcleanup20182019 1280.JPG

The photo posted today on dodgecharger.com is of an original tray.

To me, looks more glossy than chassis black...

Last edited:
The photo posted today on dodgecharger.com is of an original tray.

To me, looks more glossy than chassis black...
I bought my unrestored Superbird from the original owner in 2000 and spent 4 years doing the restoration. I have 100's of pictures. Even chassis black has a little shine to it.

I bought my unrestored Superbird from the original owner in 2000 and spent 4 years doing the restoration. I have 100's of pictures. Even chassis black has a little shine to it.

Yes, you just made my point. Look at the last post on dc.com.
Appears to be glossier than chassis black.
Do you have pics of your tray before restoration??
If so, please post them. Always good to have more information!

Checked my notes and probably the only place I didn't write down what I used. I wrote down that I sprayed the underside with SEM trim black to use some of that crap up, but I didn't write down what I sprayed on the top and spring. Most likely Duplicolor self etch primer and Semi Gloss 1603 as my go to routine..

Auto Transport Service
Back