• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's the difference between a 1969 Charger R/T and SE?

SteveSS

Local time
8:42 AM
Reaction score
I tried to look it up but all I'm getting is articles that have both packages.

We have the SE and I know it came with the lower-powered 383 and a two-barrel. Our has leather seats. AC, PB,PS AT.

The R/T was the performance version of the Charger, and came with a standard 440 Magnum engine. The only optional motor was the 426 Hemi. This package also included upgraded brakes and suspension,as well as appropriate signage. The SE package was a luxury interior package that included leather trim on the seat faces as well as upgraded interior panels. I believe this package was available on all levels of Charger. So, you could order a Charger R/T SE.

Depends on what model year you are asking about, but in general, RT gave you a standard or optional performance engine, heavier torsion bars and leaf springs, dual exhaust and RT emblems or stickers. SE gave you leather seats and standard non-performance engine and suspension. SE was generally for luxuries and RT was for performance, but either one could cross over into the other line depending on what option boxes were checked off. And then there were the holy grail cars were somebody checked off the box for both RT and SE packages on the same car.

Thank the Lord, I have two. Anyone have any production numbers for R/T SE 4 speeds?

Not sure about the Charger but on a Challenger in 70, you could get any engine with the SE (6 included?) package. Looked at a new on the lot 70 318 SE back then. Hated all the plastic and walked away....plus the sound the door made when closing it didn't help any.

Not sure about the Charger but on a Challenger in 70, you could get any engine with the SE (6 included?) package. Looked at a new on the lot 70 318 SE back then. Hated all the plastic and walked away....plus the sound the door made when closing it didn't help any.

Same with the 'Cuda but I still love it. It's been said that it rides like a buckboard - after having a 69 Charger I thought there was something wrong with the car and then saw a Jay Leno video that described the 'Cuda like that.

Same with the 'Cuda but I still love it. It's been said that it rides like a buckboard - after having a 69 Charger I thought there was something wrong with the car and then saw a Jay Leno video that described the 'Cuda like that.
Ended up buying a 72 340 Challenger in 74 with 40k miles and had many more but only had one Cuda. It was a 340 car too with the fast ratio steering and front/rear sway bars and thought it rode pretty good...and it also handled pretty good too once I upgraded wheels, tires and shocks.

IN the day mopars always rattled the worst.... Don't shoot the messenger
Had a 66 Belvedere II at the time I went looking and it was tight. Everything open and closed very nicely. Maybe that was because dad bought it as a demo....like he did most of the cars he had.

Pretty sure I've seen a 318 '69 SE.

Sure for 71 and up.

factoid- the 70 Challenger 340 was NOT an R/T.

...and a 70 318 Plymouth E body would have been a "Barracuda", not a 'Cuda.

The Plymouth E body equivalent of the Challenger SE was the Gran Coupe.

You could get 318 'Cudas and Rallye Challengers in 73 and 74, but SE and GC E body was gone after 71 IIRC.

A ball-slapper, as they say.:D

R/T is a separate model. SE is an optional trim package. Pretty much what Dave posted #2

Thank the Lord, I have two. Anyone have any production numbers for R/T SE 4 speeds?

Ha Ha...
no, but someone does
Average price for one?

Low: Almost Unobtainable

Medium: Unobtainable

High: Extremely Unobtainable

:lol:

Ha Ha...
no, but someone does

No one does...you can know one other the other but you can't combine options (SE and four speed) to come up with a new number. The numbers don't work that way.
You have people that try to combine numbers but that's just bad math and guessing; not a real answer.

I have two. A R/T S.E. and a 500 S.E. It is the A47 package for the S.E. It includes leather front bucket seats, wood grain applique on dash pcs, wood grain steering wheel, different wood grain door panels and rear inner seat/quarter panels, pedal dress up stainless trim. Roof S.E. badges. Ignition light, map light, glove box light, trunk light.

Auto Transport Service
Back