• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's the first car that you drove over 100 mph?

1967 Ford Fairlane 500, It was the second car I had owned. I would have done a 100mph in my first car a 1977 Mercury Monarch 2-dr, but the 250 6-cylinder didn't have enough power to go that high. LOL

Tom

1992 Dodge Stealth R/T Turbo. Took it to 135MPH the first week I owned it. Then took it to 165MPH. Was surprisingly a very comfortable experience. A car with proper suspension and aero makes a big difference.

1659036945546.jpeg

In 1967 .... I owned a '65 GTO tri-Power 4 speed.
115 and got scared LOL ... may have been the request (maybe order) to pull over
Lol, yeah the sinking almost nauseating feeling when looking in the rearview mirror seeing a squad car knowing they saw ya pull some ****. And the savvy ones will just tail you for a while with a wry grin knowing you see them behind you to maintain your sinking feeling for a bit: Well is he gonna pull me over or not? Oh yes, he is…he just activated his lights and siren..

I honestly cannot remember is it was the 66 Ford Fairlane or the 69 Plymouth Sport Satellite my parents owned. Either way I was no older than 12.

My first and only car was a mundane rental car (don't remember what it was) that I was driving in Montana back when there was no daytime speed limit on the roads. I got to 110 and cars were still passing me! My concern with very high speeds is tire failure. I had a blow-out of a rear tire on my '66 Austin-Healey once at about 65, and I certainly don't want that to happen at 100+.

My friend had just bought a brand new 1989 VW Jetta GLI Wolfsburg edition He just returned home from airborne school and let me drive it on the way down to Moab. I had no drivers license and passed a cop going the opposite direction doing 130+. I was sure I was going to jail but luckily there was no pursuit. I don't know if he didn't see me or didn't care but boy was I scared. Later that day he wheeled it up Lions back and tore off the ground effects. I believe that only 500 were imported to the US.

That would be my first car that I had which was a 1973 Dodge Challenger 340 rally.
My 70 GTX 440. From the Matamoras PA entrance ramp onto I84 to the Delaware bridge. It wasn't breathing hard, but the Eagle Sts were starting to shake around 110.

Similar car to @HemiLane - first car I bought was a 1977 Charger SE with a 400. Would cruise at 100 all day not breaking a sweat with the ridiculous 2.45 gear. And as per the car fashion for that era in the Chicago 'burbs I installed a Holly carb, headers, and sidepipes.

Late to this party, but not in the ‘80’s! Parents bought me for my senior hs year (1984) a Mustang GT. Loved the car when I first got it, and then hated it (used to spin out on the first drop of rain, typical for a Rustang/Plasticstang, and girls didn’t like it). Anyway… Downey, CA to Las Vegas (270 miles and roughly 4 hours non-stop) in 3 1/2 hours with a gas and food stop in Barstow.

We used to sport a wannabe mustache and play at the blackjack table from 18-21 and never got carded!

Here’s how it looked. I ended up selling it for a little over a thousand, and I heard the new owner wrecked it and it was trashed.

3AB79F9F-7E14-48CD-95E3-2CEC0C2E6DC4.jpeg

late 70's I had a 1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 Magnum 4 speed. I got clock by a New Rochelle Highway patrol @105.

Lol, yeah the sinking almost nauseating feeling when looking in the rearview mirror seeing a squad car knowing they saw ya pull some ****. And the savvy ones will just tail you for a while with a wry grin knowing you see them behind you to maintain your sinking feeling for a bit: Well is he gonna pull me over or not? Oh yes, he is…he just activated his lights and siren..
This exactly with the '77 I mentioned above. Took off work for just the morning to drive out and look at what is now my '68 Charger. Checked it out, handed the lady $2700 in cash (decent price in 1985) and said I'd be back on Saturday to pick it up. Iowa was a bit further out than I thought and I was gonna be late for work, so out on the highway with nothing but cornfields to the left and right I did what anyone else would do...hit it. Passed a cop sitting behind an overpass going 115 in a 55. He pulled out and followed me for about 5 miles before hitting the lights. Trying to play up to him possibly being a gear head, I told him that while there isn't any good reason to be speeding like I was, I just put money down on a '68 Charger RT, super excited and running a little late for work. He took my licence and came back about 10 minutes later and told me that while my speed warranted a do not pass go, go directly to jail card, he wrote me up for only 16 over the limit and congratulated me on the '68. Nicest cop I've ever gotten pulled over by.

Nicest cop I've ever gotten pulled over by.
I’d sure guess that’s a rare break. I was pulled over in my old company ride in Prairie du Chien back around ’86, 4-banger Olds Firenza on a hot day with the AC on. Some may remember what the AC did in those old 4’s, it jacked the idle speed and affected ‘coasting’ meaning downshift or brakes to slow down anytime soon. Entering town speed dropped to 30mph, highway sloped down a bit, I had let off the gas well before the sign and when passing the speed sign, town cop pulled me over like immediately after the sign. 40 in a 30. He wanted the fine paid and said I don’t have that much cash, but can send the money, nope. I have a credit card. He couldn’t take it unless going to the PD to use it. Off to the PD we go and took near an hour to pay the ******* fine and get out of there. Walked out saying “Thank you folks for your down-home hospitality.”

Auto Transport Service
Back