• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's the Flexplate of Choice

khryslerkid

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:57 AM
Reaction score
Mild build 440, Torqueflight, Forged crank, newly rebuilt trans and torque converter. Not too keen on reusing the factory flexplate. (11"tc, 6 bolt crank)

Summit's B&M $101
bmm-10230_yj.jpg

https://m.summitracing.com/parts/bmm-10230

440 Source $38.95
2001084.jpg

http://store.440source.com/SFI-APPROVED-Solid-Flexplate-6-bolt-Neutral-balance/productinfo/200-1084/
Jegs TCI $110.95
890-145200.jpg

http://www.jegs.com/i/TCI/890/10237...nel=Shopping&gclid=CJO9gYnv7dECFZGIswodV7oJVQ

What's the difference between the Summit B&M and 440 Source, besides the cost?

I read the thickness of the TCI has caused starter to flywheel engagement problems?

SFI certified is only good for so long, so is there any difference between the same flexplate that isn't certified besides they cost less? (I might make a couple of nostalgic passes on occasion)

Or do I just use the original one that's been with the car?

Just doing some research and if I go with the 440 Source it takes almost a week to get their orders here.

TIA

If you're not going fast.....you won't need the sticker. In my experience, nobody has ever checked for most of those stickers, on various parts. If I'm gonna spend the money, I always check for where it was made.

1. The Summit/B&M & 440 source flex plates appear to be identical.

2. You won't be required to have a SFI-certified flex plate unless your car is really quick (don't know the exact NHRA rule.... something like over 135mph or under 10sec. in the 1/4 mile in an automatic with floorboards).

3. The Jegs/TCI flex plate "might" be lighter looking at its shape.

4. Based on your description of use, I would stay with the stock flex plate unless it was bent or cracked (check near bolt holes).

No its not bent. Just 55 years old. Looks in good shape just don't know how long they last.
Not being sarcastic...55 years old? Methinks it's good to go...and at least you know what country it was made in!
But, I'm old school...like things to last at least 20 years!

Not an expert on this subject but just ordered a new one myself similar to the original one. I wouldn't use one of those stiff, SFI (not-so)flex plates unless you are dialing in your transmission case to within a very few thousands alignment with the crank. Those things won't have much flex to them and if the alignment isn't good and I would think you have a good chance of picking up vibration and possibly wearing the transmission pump bushing and converter hub. Unfortunately the only way to dial in your transmission case is to first remove it and completely empty it out and bolt it back in position.

As someone here recently said to me - there is a good reason they call them flex plates.

If you're not going fast.....you won't need the sticker. In my experience, nobody has ever checked for most of those stickers, on various parts. If I'm gonna spend the money, I always check for where it was made.
They NEVER check for SFI except the cage,belts and helmut.For years they asked if I had blanket and I said YES.They never looked,it was rolled up in the trunk next to the battery for ballast.
I went with the B&M for quality,I'm sure the sticker is expired by now:D

1.17.17 008.jpg

Everybody here is right. You probably don't need a new flexplate and you probably don't need a SFI rated one. But......You've got everything already torn down and if it's something as simple as piece of mind, why not?
Just do your best to make sure it's made in the USA.

Thanks Peeps!

I guess I'll stick with the original one. I've never heard of them being a problem part like the GM ones back in the day. Replaced a few of them, especially Buicks. The one I have is in good shape and I'm not out to break any land speed records. Thanks again :thankyou:

I received an original style TCI flexplate 145600 today from Summit which is going to have to go back. It's not like the description or picture in their ad. The 10 inch bolt pattern is drilled for 3/8 inch bolts. What Mopar uses 3/8 inch converter bolts???????? If I had a HD or Hemi converter I could ream them out to 7/16" but mine are 5/16 inch. Nuts - beware.

I received an original style TCI flexplate 145600 today from Summit which is going to have to go back. It's not like the description or picture in their ad. The 10 inch bolt pattern is drilled for 3/8 inch bolts. What Mopar uses 3/8 inch converter bolts???????? If I had a HD or Hemi converter I could ream them out to 7/16" but mine are 5/16 inch. Nuts - beware.
I read some reviews of people receiving flexplates with the wrong size holes. Also a couple of customers had starter engagement problems with the thicker oem looking plates...

I read some reviews of people receiving flexplates with the wrong size holes. Also a couple of customers had starter engagement problems with the thicker oem looking plates...

I'm probably going to settle for reusing my old one also. Checking flatness it's got one leg that's out a little but I can probably deal with that and bolting it to the torque converter - it's the flex plate that will conform - not the converter.

I used the B&M SFI plate.
I have a turbo action convertpr and it requires the larger holes.
I believe it has more than one bolt pattern on it.

The TCI has two bolt patterns on it also (although the Summit product picture and description only says it has the small bolt pattern). It has 11 inch with 5/16 in holes and 10 inch with 3/8 inch holes. I repeat - has anyone seen a MOPAR converter with 3/8 inch fasteners?? I'm beginning to understand the rap TCI gets from some members.

The TCI has two bolt patterns on it also (although the Summit product picture and description only says it has the small bolt pattern). It has 11 inch with 5/16 in holes and 10 inch with 3/8 inch holes. I repeat - has anyone seen a MOPAR converter with 3/8 inch fasteners?? I'm beginning to understand the rap TCI gets from some members.
I'm thinking the 10" 3/8" fasteners would be for aftermarket torque converters?

Last edited:
The Hughes TQ I just received is 5/16-24. I believe if you go for a HD or high stall TQ they will usually drill it for 7/16 bolts which is what was used on the 60s Hemi. I've spent weeks looking at torque converter manufacturers and haven't notice one using 3/8 inch hardware. But, if you still want a new flex plate I did find this one that looks like a stock replacement with 10 inch bolt circle and 5/16 in holes. Also it's cheap - under $20 and available from Summit, Advance Auto, Amazon, etc. This would be for an 11 converter - not the bigger 12 inch.

http://atpautomotive.com/flexplate-z-197

Last edited:
For the most part in our hobby you get what you pay for,just buy wise. I"m just sayin don't cheap out on critical parts.The faster you are,the better the parts need to be.

Yeah - I'm not too fast - stock motor, full power and air. But, I know what you mean.

Well scratch Advance - the APT flexplate that came in was the same thing that Summit sent (except lacking paint and cheaper). It was dual bolt pattern with 11 x 5/16 inch and 10 x 3/8 inch - so back it went.

Mancini Racing appears to have the correct 10 inch bolt pattern flex plate which I'm trying next. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Auto Transport Service
Back