• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's the right amount of torque for new style 727 trans pan gasket?

themechanic

Oklahoma is OK
Local time
3:00 PM
Reaction score
The FSM says to torque the 727 trans oil pan gasket bolts to 150 in/lbs.

I bought the new rigid 727 trans oil pan gasket with double row rubber o-ring seals. I have read that 150 in/lbs is too much and causes leaks and that 115 in/lbs is better for this gasket.

Anyone here with real experience with these gaskets? What did you torque yours to?

Snug.

I know, I know a bullshit answer, but in truth all I do is run them all up finger tight and then an extra 1/4 turn and all is good. As long as your pan is dead flat, it'll seal with out killing it.

I have that gasket on my Ram's pan. Like 5wndwcpe, I just snug the bolts - don't over tighten. I haven't had a leak yet and I've used that same gasket over and over for at least 10 fluid changes. That's the great thing about that gasket - it's re-usable.

I just found a couple of nicks in the front of the trans gasket surface where my leak was coming from. I sanded it down smooth and wiped it clean followed by filling with black RTV just to the surface since it was right where the outer rubber o-ring seals in front. I hand tightened all the bolts snug then maybe half a turn more. I had to stop before I could fill it up and run a leak test. I'll let you know later.

Auto Transport Service
Back