• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

whats up with PayPal

davek

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:37 AM
Reaction score
So now you have to give them your cell number to log on? When did this start? I hate giving my number out to. Thanks Dave

Just used them Monday, no problems

I've had it for many years, never have given them mine.

You don't have to and I never will. There is a tab that says "not now" that you need to click on to proceed.

Last edited:
You don't have to and I never will. There is a tab that says "not now" that you need to clip on to proceed.
hes right you know.gif

I get that pop up on occasion and for all the years I have been using Pay Pal, I have never given out my cell number nor use the APP that I have on my phone and home computer. This 2 step verification is nonsense!!! Why do I need to go through all this when I am the one that is trying to log into my account. But we are protecting you they say??? From what the hell what??? Prefer desktop or laptop computer usage. I will never understand why so many throughout this country and even here on these forums continually use a cell phone/mobile phone and have them constantly grafted to ones ear...No wonder we in this land are so engrossed into not paying attention...cr8crshr/Bill
:realcrazy::realcrazy::realcrazy::usflag::usflag::usflag:

My experience recently is completely opposite. I've used Paypal for several decades and always had to log in with my password. Recently when I logged in I got a message they recognized the device as being the one I use all the time (a tablet) and therefore my password won't be required to log in to Paypal when on that device anymore.
The one that drives me nuts is logging into my Vanguard IRA account, which used to just require a password unless I logged in from a different computer than the device I use at home. Starting in recent times, now every time I put in my password I get a popup asking how I want my verification code sent and after I pick my cell phone number out of the drop down list, my phone rings and I have to hold the phone with one hand listening to a computerized voice giving a code while at the same time trying to tap the number in on my ipad with the other. Real PITA.
Thankfully with the market as bad as it has been I haven't been logging into Vanguard for awhile so I don't have to deal with their irritating verification scheme.
Why does Paypal recognize the device I almost always use and Vanguard's technology doesn't??

My experience recently is completely opposite. I've used Paypal for several decades and always had to log in with my password. Recently when I logged in I got a message they recognized the device as being the one I use all the time (a tablet) and therefore my password won't be required to log in to Paypal when on that device anymore.
The one that drives me nuts is logging into my Vanguard IRA account, which used to just require a password unless I logged in from a different computer than the device I use at home. Starting in recent times, now every time I put in my password I get a popup asking how I want my verification code sent and after I pick my cell phone number out of the drop down list, my phone rings and I have to hold the phone with one hand listening to a computerized voice giving a code while at the same time trying to tap the number in on my ipad with the other. Real PITA.
Thankfully with the market as bad as it has been I haven't been logging into Vanguard for awhile so I don't have to deal with their irritating verification scheme.
Why does Paypal recognize the device I almost always use and Vanguard's technology doesn't??
It appears recently that the "Gate Keepers" now want to have total control over you and your own personal business. As I mentioned above, they will answer when questioned about it, "We are protecting you!!!" From what the Hell what??? Myself??? Gets really annoying and over blown IMHO...cr8crshr/Bill:usflag::usflag::usflag:

I don’t know if it’s some sort of scheme or conspiracy by globalists or what have you, or more of a situation where skilled hackers are constantly figuring out new ways to get access into financial accounts and steal millions.
The financial companies seem to be playing catch-up all the time, shutting the gate after the horses run off (with clients money).
As far as Vanguard goes, I’d like to be able to put a lock in place whereas I’d sign away the right to withdraw anything from my retirement accounts until I’m 65, with the possible exception of if there’s an emergency I have to go into an office and personally prove my identity.
Then in return I could go into my account to contribute to my Roth or reallocate my funds anytime I want, without all their security BS and sending verification codes, as if any bad guy logged in and tried to withdraw my money, they’d know it was a hacker.
Too easy, they’d never institute that option!
When my bank I used got bought out, I never reset up online access to my checking account. They have branches all over including the grocery store so I do not feel any inconvenience by having to personally go in to the bank. I don’t know if that helps secure my funds in that bank or not, but it does make me feel like it does.
The move to being able to do everything online is convenient, but they never seem to be able to make this very secure, therefore maybe it’s time to go back to old school practices with banking and investments until they figure out a 100% secure way to manage account access over the internet?

I don’t know if it’s some sort of scheme or conspiracy by globalists or what have you, or more of a situation where skilled hackers are constantly figuring out new ways to get access into financial accounts and steal millions.
The financial companies seem to be playing catch-up all the time, shutting the gate after the horses run off (with clients money).
As far as Vanguard goes, I’d like to be able to put a lock in place whereas I’d sign away the right to withdraw anything from my retirement accounts until I’m 65, with the possible exception of if there’s an emergency I have to go into an office and personally prove my identity.
Then in return I could go into my account to contribute to my Roth or reallocate my funds anytime I want, without all their security BS and sending verification codes, as if any bad guy logged in and tried to withdraw my money, they’d know it was a hacker.
Too easy, they’d never institute that option!
When my bank I used got bought out, I never reset up online access to my checking account. They have branches all over including the grocery store so I do not feel any inconvenience by having to personally go in to the bank. I don’t know if that helps secure my funds in that bank or not, but it does make me feel like it does.
The move to being able to do everything online is convenient, but they never seem to be able to make this very secure, therefore maybe it’s time to go back to old school practices with banking and investments until they figure out a 100% secure way to manage account access over the internet?
You don’t need to do it that way bro. I‘m one that uses multi-factor authentication on everything of any importance but of course for sure anything financial.As far as your PITA issue with Vanguard - they will also text it to you and no need for the phone call thing. That‘s the way I set up most of my Accts. And because you provided your phone number in your profile - no worries - they will never call you unsolicited. Been doing business with they and Fidelity for decades. Never unsolicited phone calls - emails yes you‘ll get some but you can also eliminate the appearance of most of those by setting up what you do and don’t want on their site also. I only want I only accept confirmations and notifications of specific acct activity. Thats it. Works well for me.

Auto Transport Service
Back