• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's with black attire?

Ron H

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:22 AM
Reaction score
Ironic as back in the 60’s I liked to wear black a couple times a week, black jeans, black western shirt with the pearl white buttons or black t-shirts. Somewhere along the years, colors became a preference with me. During summer, when it’s 90-degrees out, a black t-shirt is the last thing I want to wear. Yet, today (including my oldest daughter) it’s black and more black. Car shows getting a t-shirt handed out…well you can get a black one or if ya want, a black one. I got a dozen or more black t-shirts cuz that would be what I’d get as a gift. Got dozens of t-shirts as this is what I wear most days being retired. During winter I have a few hoodies I wear over the t-shirt…yeah some black ones gifted. (Announced to the family – no more t-shirts; truly prefer nothing). Kids are saying well dad, we gotta get you something for your birthday or Christmas. I tell them I’m trying to get rid of stuff, not get more stuff at my age. Got tons of well-worn t-shirts I ruin working on cars and toss ‘em. Lol.

Restaurant and bar workers…it’s often black shirts with the biz’s logo on them. THIS is nothing political.
NO offense to those who like black attire...just an observation.

That used to be the "official colors" of the heavy metal crowd - still is, I reckon.
I have determined there to be a more practical use for such in my advanced years, though -
permanent stains don't stand out as much on a black shirt. :)

That used to be the "official colors" of the heavy metal crowd - still is, I reckon.
I have determined there to be a more practical use for such in my advanced years, though -
permanent stains don't stand out as much on a black shirt. :)
Lol, I think I have some stains on my black clothes I don't want to know about. I relish warm weather, always have; but at my age, damn, sweat like a pig when it's humid and every so often donning a black t-shirt without thinking about it - I'm reminded being out in the sun going in to change the shirt.

Black makes us look thinner.

I like black for working on cars or doing gardening. White shows dirt easily and doesn't wash out. I just bought a 4 pack of Hanes long sleeve T-shirts since the garage is getting too cold for short sleeves.

Black makes us look thinner.

I like black for working on cars or doing gardening. White shows dirt easily and doesn't wash out. I just bought a 4 pack of Hanes long sleeve T-shirts since the garage is getting too cold for short sleeves.
Yeah - my wife mentioned black makes one look thinner and she wears black pretty often for this reason. Yep, no doubt black hides the dirt. I have so many shirts though I've worn for years pretty ratted my wife gives me **** about to toss them. But I've ruined enough of those to eventually trash 'em. I don't know, when I was younger and cuter was more particular about dressing/fit, etc. Had to dress up for work for about half my career, wearing a tie. Today, I just could give a rat's behind. Ratty shirts or pants - ready to get dirty on one project or another. Ain't like I'm going to impress some young females at the store to lay me, lol. Those days are LONG-long gone.

Look at some videos and photos of people in the 50s through the 70s and you'll see guys wearing white t-shirts and blue jeans.

Remember the photos of the Chrysler engineers at the track? Things have changed.

Look at some videos and photos of people in the 50s through the 70s and you'll see guys wearing white t-shirts and blue jeans.

Remember the photos of the Chrysler engineers at the track? Things have changed.
Funny hey! For some years, being a salaried employee at a large machine tool company, had to wear a tie and was issued a pen-pack with the company logo with my name on it! Yeah, couple pencils, pens, 6" scale. Rejected wearing short-sleeve dress shirts...until...I wore them. PIA with long sleeves in a shop I spent half the time in w/o AC.

Sliver & Black are my favorites, unfortunately of late

Dog Black Labs Matter all Labs matter nonsense.jpg

a lil' thick for me, but she's in black :poke:
Oakland Raiders Hot Chick blackcorner.jpg

Just right...
mawrr0bdffi21.jpg

The thing I hated about black jeans and T's was that they only looked good when new and "black". But once they'd been washed a few times that was it ... they looked like crap. I'd rather wear washed-out, faded blue jeans. And speaking of which, I don't spend a fortune on those. I used to only buy/wear Levi's but the last few pairs I bought the legs twisted after the first wash so I'm done with Levi's. Now I wear Wranglers exclusively.

More on the topic ... in the cooler months I only wear Tommy Hilfiger socks (from Costco) comfortable, warm and fairly priced. I only wear long-sleeve knit pullovers from Old Navy - I have a dozen of different colors - reasonably priced and so far I've gotten 4 years out of them. In the summer I wear Hagger cotton/polyester shorts from Costco - I have a dozen in a variety of patterns and colors. Comfortable, reasonably priced and they wear well. I buy a dozen CHEAP T's at Walmart in the spring and throw them ALL out in the fall - by then they've all been stained, had paint or something splatted on them. And anything - doesn't matter what - that gets a hole in them, goes straight in the trash.

Auto Transport Service
Back