• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's your favorite muffler???

drobertson

Local time
7:23 PM
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been posted before. I thought it might be fun to explore a few different kinds of mufflers.... and what is your favorite? and why?

Personally I like the cheap flowtech raptor turbo mufflers from my local napa... they've got a nice deep rumble without the drone. Super 44's are also one of my favorites; minus the highway drone sound i get on my truck. So what do you like? A nice, raspy crackle? Or the earth shaking thunder?

flowmasters get the nod from me also, I've tried other brands but always prefer how they sound

Hooker Aero Chambers
Dyno Max turbo (have not actually used them yet)
Thrush turbos
Summit racing

I have summit street &strip mufflers on my 65 sat. and they sound great at a good price.

I run Dyno Max ultra Flows. Crisp sound, No drone and 11.83@115 thru the mufflers.

Been running straights on my junk since the mid 70's. Had Borla XR1's on a drag car and it was still louder than any straight system I've ever used on the street....but they still sounded good :grin: The nastiest sounding engine so far with a straight pipe on it is my V6 Dakota but I toned it down a bit by adding 7 crimps to a 36" length of pipe. Did that as an experiment to see if it would make any difference and it did. Plan is to take the next size up pipe and make deeper crimps. My understanding is that the boundary layer air is slow anyways and the crimps help deflect the sound waves making things quieter. Haven't noticed any difference in the performance of the truck after adding then but V6 performance is an oxymoron anyways, ain't it....

I use the summit turbo mufflers. At like $30 each, I just clamp them onto my stainless exhaust, clamp on some turndowns and dump them just before the rear axle. Nice deep sound below 2000 rpm that cleans it self up nicely by time you get to cruising rpm's, which for me is 2500-3000. When they rot, I'll unclamp them, toss them in the dumpster and throw on some new ones. Read a test that had the turbo-style muffler soundly outflowing flow masters, so win win win in my book.

Currently I have 40 Series flow masters. Sound really good, but a little too drony. (I have a 3 inlet - 2.5 outlet, flow sucks)

I've been looking at Ultra Flows. They flow great, sound good (when you want them too) and no drone (so I've heard). buying a set this weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gGThRPrXTo

Yes, I know it's a chebby. SO it'll sound 10x better in a MOPAR :headbang:

pypes street pro's, they are like $150 a pair to your door and made very well, nice sound, flow well, look nice, good customer support (spoke to an owner on the phone when I called!!!), can't say a bad thing about them, I know they are on a lot of chebbies, BUT, I put them on a 340 with manifolds and they sounded nicer than any other box I ever heard on a sbm....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cq3y5HzFPts

Been there, done that. What I've noticed is that the plumbing ahead of the mufflers really changes the sound. I've had three brands of mufflers, Dyno Max,Flow Master 40's and 50's and I really like the Borla's with a 2 1/2 inch TTI system front to back. Not too loud, not too soft, no droning at highway speeds and you can actually talk in the car while idling without raising your voice. But, when you get behind the car it sounds like there's an 800 cubic inch engine with ten inch pistons. GM owners of all flavors are yet to agree to a "go".

Currently I have 40 Series flow masters. Sound really good, but a little too drony. (I have a 3 inlet - 2.5 outlet, flow sucks)

I've been looking at Ultra Flows. They flow great, sound good (when you want them too) and no drone (so I've heard). buying a set this weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gGThRPrXTo

Yes, I know it's a chebby. SO it'll sound 10x better in a MOPAR :headbang:

3" Ultraflo's after 2" Dougs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MJlZt7YYYc

Auto Transport Service
Back