• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wheel and tire size recomendation 1970 Sport Satellite

Moparfiend

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:02 PM
Reaction score
Need to get wheels and tires not sure what size works best. I like fat and wide the wheels I mean lol

I have the same car and run P235/R6015 on the front and P275/R6015 on the back (that is the biggest tire you can run on the rear for tires). For rims I used 15/8 inch on the rear and 15/7 inch on the front, both are 4.5 backspacing

IMG_1316.JPG

4.5 backspacing? Do you mean bolt pattern or backspacing/offset?

Unless the satty wells are different that the rest of the 68-70 b bodies you can fit a 295 tire under it.

I am confused as to what to get. Looks like I can run a 15 inch rim and possibly have an aspect ratio of from 235 to 295 depending on if its front or rear and what the actual offset is. Moe's running a combo that has different rim widths probably for the reason he states that 275 up front is to wide. But I hear a counter to this. So what sizes are you guys running?

the 8 inch rims are to allow for the wider tire. You might be able to go to a 245 or even a 255 on the front. That works with some B bodies. Don't know about the 70 sattelites.

275 is fine for the rear not the front, maybe 245 for the front

Yea looks like Moe is spot on if my consensus ability is working. Looks like I will use your combo Moe! I like the difference in sizes perfect from what I remember back in high school in the 70's !!

Generally, the 235 & 275 on 7 & 8 is pretty much the norm.But, with the proper backspacing wheels, you can do 255 & 315.

Thank you guys for the help I am going to need a lot of mental support for this car lol. My wife has been great she helped negotiate the deal translating for me and then she helped me and the tow truck driver push it into the garage with two flat tires up hill lol.

OK no back to the tires stuff, I am thinking of springing for Cragars always wanted them in HS and could not afford them. I can get them new for $167 at Jeg's which seems reasonable for wheels after looking all the others.

I think I need the 5 lugs, 4.5 inch bolt pattern spacing but I am truly lost at the offset numbers. If I convert the offset to back spacing I get 4.12inch for the 7 inch rim and 4.38 for the 8 inch rim. Is this correct and is this close enough that these should be fine to use?

08/61 Series Super Sport Wheel
  • Size: 15'' x 7''
  • Bolt Circle: 5 x 4-1/2" 4-3/4", 5"
  • Rear Spacing: 4-1/8''
  • Offset: 3mm
  • Size: 15'' x 8''
  • Bolt Circle: 5 x 4-1/2", 4-3/4", 5"
  • Rear Spacing: 4-1/4''
  • Offset: -6mm

Last edited:
I have 15x7 with 235/60-15's in front and 15x8 with 255/60-15's out back. There is prob a little room left to put 275's in the back, but I'm happy with the 255's.

IMG_4595.JPG
IMG_4597.JPG

Last edited:
Beautiful car NJRR! Hope mine can look like that someday! Do you know anything else about the wheels you are using offse/back-spacing/hub size?

I am going to get a pair of 15x7 cragars 5x4.5 with 90mm HUB I assume this will work on my fronts....... I assume this because the wheel HUB (90mm) is larger than the cars hub 72mm. Hope that's the right way to look at it......

Beautiful car NJRR! Hope mine can look like that someday! Do you know anything else about the wheels you are using offse/back-spacing/hub size?

I am going to get a pair of 15x7 cragars 5x4.5 with 90mm HUB I assume this will work on my fronts....... I assume this because the wheel HUB (90mm) is larger than the cars hub 72mm. Hope that's the right way to look at it......

Thanks. IMO, 70 Satellite/Roadrunner is the nicest B-Body !!!!
My fronts have 4.25" backspace, rears 4.5". I'm not sure what the 90mmHUB reference is.

NJRR I measured on the hub the protruding center circle of the hub. This part I believe needs to be cleared by the rim in order to have a flush fit against the hub. This will allow the proper run-out or at least prevent it from not mounting flush which is bad for run-out. The diameter of this on the drum is 71.5mm so the opening in the wheel needs to be larger than this and it is.

WileERobby awesome timing thank you I am picking up two rims tomorrow!! So now I can sleep better knowing these will work. They are for the front of the car. What year and car do you have?

Found a strange thing when removing my driver rear wheel.....the threads were opposite the other three wheels lol. I guess those studs were replaced and someone put the wrong ones on. I will eventually have to change that or suffer damage from someone changing my tire that does not know this. It cost me $75 to figure this out. I bought a bigger impact wrench as I thought they were frozen. I ended up driving one of the bolts into the rim and was like WTF I am tightening this...... lol another previous bubba moment lol....and least I have a nice impact wrench now!

You have discovered the wisdom of Ma Mopar. On the 70, driver's side lugs, front and rear, were LEFT hand thread. Your rears were actually correct as it came from the factory and someone probably swapped out the front studs for regular Right hand thread.

hahahah WTF why would they they do something like that? What thread type was used on the studs?

Auto Transport Service
Back