• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wheel Choices for 72 Rallye

bjbstewart

Local time
4:20 AM
Reaction score
All,
Currently have some not great wheels on the car, and would like to get something that is more period correct. I really like the Series 54 (Magnum 500) wheels, but my understanding is that they weren't available in '72. It was the series 56 that was. Don't care for it as much, but i think they would grow on me. any opinions?

Series 54
54.jpg
Series 56
56.jpg

Rally...not magnums for me. All car companies had the 500's.

Neither will look out of place. The series 54 would have had a trim ring instead of chrome by then if available.

I have both. For time to time I change them to another car just for a different appearance. Prefer the rallye wheels with the 71 center caps.

The mag 500's are nice but the steel wheels with dog dish hub caps and rings

Chrome "Magnum 500" was not available from the factory after 1969, but was as aftermarket.

IMO Chrysler "Rallye" wheels are the best looking rally wheels ever.

They look good with no rings, brushed rings, or chrome rings, which create an optical illusion with the holes in the wheel.
The reflection completes the circle- whoever designed that was a genious!

Great! Thanks all for the feedback, Series 56 wheels it is! Going with:

Rear: 15x10 - 295/50
Front: 15x8 - 245/60

- - - Updated - - -

I have both. For time to time I change them to another car just for a different appearance. Prefer the rallye wheels with the 71 center caps.

Would love to see a picture off the rallye wheels on your car if you have :)

IMG_0186.jpgIMG_0191.jpgJust put them on yesterday as a matter of fact. 15X8 all the way around. 255/60/15 on rear and 235/60/15 on front

IMG_0186.jpg IMG_0191.jpg

Have no idea why pic is upside down. No matter how I save pic it flips it when uploaded to FBBO

^^^Cool, drivin' ona' seelin!

Come back down to earth.................

IMG_0186.jpgIMG_0191.jpg

my opinion is body colored steel wheels with redline poverty caps on RWL tires...also year one rallies fill the wheel well nicely.
charger1.jpgcharger2.jpgcharger3.jpg

Just put them on yesterday as a matter of fact. 15X8 all the way around. 255/60/15 on rear and 235/60/15 on front

Car looks great! When you get it off the stands I would love to see how it looks at ride height. With the suspension drooping it makes the tires look like they don't fill the wheel well but I am sure they do. Will you be doing a stripe on that car? I ask because mine is supposed to be that same color.

The rallye wheels are also available fully chromed and in billet aluminum. Also available in 17" sizes. I think the red charger above has 17" wheels on it, judging from the sidewall of the tires. I think they are the best looking factory wheels ever made. Some aftermarket people were, at one time, offering to custom weld the offset to what ever you wanted so you could really stuff those fenderwells to the max! I've seen some that were 14" wide! Good luck what ever you choose.

- - - Updated - - -

Come to think about it; I have even seen rallye wheels painted various colors like a factory steelie. It looks cool reflected in the trim ring and creates dramatic effects with contrastingly painted brake hardware.

This is a '72 440 SE that I am doing over in my shop for my boss. Year One has these as a complete set: wheels, caps, lugs and bolts/spacers for the caps. They were a little pricey, but the end result is pretty awesome. Plus, this big car drives and handles exceptionally well with this wheel/tire combo.

Not sure how I missed all these update those wheels look sweet on your car great choice deff need to see it on the ground (you may need a bigger tire setup on the rear)
Like on my 73 rallye charger after everything was said and done the tires were just to small so I had to beg and plead with the tire shop to switch for a bigger set . Here's before I put bigger tires on it .I don't have any after pictures for some reasonattachment-20140520-101552.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back