• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wheel Choices, Looking for Opinions

JG71B

Local time
3:37 AM
Reaction score
About to get the Charger on the road after 20+yrs. Was gonna run cop wheels, changed my mind. Was gonna run 15x8 Mag 500's, too much in shipping from a fellow member (I really wanted those!). Im coming down to these American Racing 15x8 "whatever they're called " dated 1996, nice but, need stripped and polished which should be easy, corrosion is minimal (1st pic). Or, look at the summit link, these are the last option. Nice looking, 15x8 in stock and not too expensive. Im have 255/60r 15 rear and either 215/70r 15 (manual steering!) or possibly 245/60r 15 front.
Looking for opinions please. Thanks!

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vsw-1435865gmml0

Last edited:
I like the color matched cop wheels myself. The Torque Thrust D's are nice as well, my problem is that so many people have them, I'm one to speak as I have weld ProStars on mine.
I find myself liking wheels from the 80s more and more now like Convo Pros or Centerlines
Also depends on what look you are going for, Protouring, 70s/80s ect.

I like the color matched cop wheels myself. The Torque Thrust D's are nice as well, my problem is that so many people have them, I'm one to speak as I have weld ProStars on mine.
I find myself liking wheels from the 80s more and more now like Convo Pros or Centerlines
Also depends on what look you are going for, Protouring, 70s/80s ect.
I really only skipped the cop car wheels because I don't feel like sand blasting, prepping and painting, I have a complete exhaust to bolt up yet, interior to be put in, glass and window tracks... so my plate is pretty much full, it would be a lot easier/faster to strip the aluminum rims and polish them honestly. Original plan was body color cop wheels with red line or dodge symbol actually. Still on the table for down the road if I change my mind just don't have the time now

I'm a boring sort on wheels as I tend to stick with stock mags/rally's or something similar; but a larger wheel and wider tires within a range, I'm a fan of and think they'd look great on your Charger. I put 15" 500's on my '63 albeit those weren't around then but they're a classic mopar wheel. If I had a do-over, I think I would have gone to 16" wheels. I'm still pondering on this as I might sell my 15x7 magnums with p235/r60's with 3k miles on those to go with the aluminum wheels.

Keystone classic's seem to look good on everything ! :)

20170615_120451.jpg

Keystone classic's seem to look good on everything ! :)

View attachment 1119199
Yeah - Keystone's were always good with me, photo of my '73 Challenger circa 74 or 75. Later I put on magnums and radials. My brother put the stones on his Ranchero and remembered he never paid me for them. I reminded him of this 35+ years later and he said the statute of limitations expired on paying, lol.

Dodge 73 (2).jpg

Where in OH are you located? I have 6 wheel vintique magnum 500s I need to get out of the garage. I believe 2 are 15x7 and 4 are 15x8.

I'm a boring sort on wheels as I tend to stick with stock mags/rally's or something similar; but a larger wheel and wider tires within a range, I'm a fan of and think they'd look great on your Charger. I put 15" 500's on my '63 albeit those weren't around then but they're a classic mopar wheel. If I had a do-over, I think I would have gone to 16" wheels. I'm still pondering on this as I might sell my 15x7 magnums with p235/r60's with 3k miles on those to go with the aluminum wheels.
Too bad shipping is going to be $60 per wheel or I'd make an offer lol. A fellow member on here has a decent deal on a new set right now on the market place, I really wantd them but I'm not paying 240 in shipping. Imo, 15x7 or 8 500's are the sweetest looking wheels on a 71 B body

Last edited:
Yeah - Keystone's were always good with me, photo of my '73 Challenger circa 74 or 75. Later I put on magnums and radials. My brother put the stones on his Ranchero and remembered he never paid me for them. I reminded him of this 35+ years later and he said the statute of limitations expired on paying, lol.

View attachment 1119201
I actually have two of those Keystones out in the shed that still have the tires I had in my senior year from the 73 Charger I bought from my uncle that was the original owner from new

Where in OH are you located? I have 6 wheel vintique magnum 500s I need to get out of the garage. I believe 2 are 15x7 and 4 are 15x8.
20 min directly east of Cleveland...

I actually have two of those Keystones out in the shed that still have the tires I had in my senior year from the 73 Charger I bought from my uncle that was the original owner from new
They were popular back in the day as I remember; but I don't see them all that often today. I remember how they dressed up my brother's Ranchero nicely after dropping the hubcaps from it. Was thinking I should have kept them; but got tired of the ride needing the Challenger's *** up to clear the rubber.

View attachment 1119201
Sweet ride !

The trouble with asking for an opinion, you might get mine.....
Anyway.... if it were mine, i would probably go with cop wheels, painted to match, with redline dodge caps. Nice caps might cost as much or more than the wheels.
I was never a fan of keystones. Lots like em, me not so much.
Of your other two choices, to me the summit ones are a clear winner. Those five spoke americans scream 80's to me, and i didnt like them much then, i wouldnt want them on my car now.
As noted above, lots of people use some version of torque thrust wheels. Thats because they look GREAT! If you dont care for them cause theyre common, thats okay.
Then, there is also Jegs' house brand of wheels. Very inexpensive, and i like the looks of some of em. Chinese made, of course, as are the vision wheels youre looking at.
Bottom line... if you really like magnum 500s...... road trip?!?

Steel wheels with full wheel covers! Be different.
Mike

Too bad shipping is going to be $60 per wheel or I'd make an offer lol. A fellow member on here has a decent deal on a new set right now on the market place, I really wantd them but I'm not paying 240 in shipping. Imo, 15x7 or 8 500's are the sweetest looking wheels on a 71 B body

You can have them put in a pallet and probably ship for around $100 from Fastenal.

Pics attached.

2 are 15x7 with 235/70r15 BFGs with center caps
2 are 15x8 with 275/60r15 BFGs with center caps
2 are 15x8 with 275/60r15 E/T Streets with no center caps

Tires are at least 6 years old as they came with the car. There is some minor surface corrosion on a couple of them but it will polish out good as new. Pics are after I dragged a few out of the garage and hit them with soap and water to get the bugs off.

E156522C-D581-4595-AFFE-BA9773603624.jpeg
4C303DB4-B66E-45B4-BCF1-956B4EEA7331.jpeg
0A9F7C40-9F1A-4C0A-A20D-08EA110EEEED.jpeg
E798A0AC-A288-4B08-B409-17DA8E6713C3.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back