• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wheel cylinder rebuild

Mixed-up XP

Local time
3:52 PM
Reaction score
I usually just replace these with new or remans from the parts store. I think I'll save these and redo them myself. The stamping on the cylinder speaks for itself. Any heads-up or pointers I need to be aware of?...this will be my first time rebuilding wheel cylinders.

IMG_0001.jpg

Just need a good hone. Clean and inspect the bore for erosion and pits. If it looks ok hone and reassemble. I keep Raybestos assembly lube on hand. I feel its a good coating to put on the cylinder bore and the other parts.

If the bores are bad there is a company that will sleeve them back to specs

I just bought these Raybestos for my 11” front brakes. They say Made in USA too. Honestly I can’t find any difference vs made overseas.

I bought rebuild kits too, but every one had pitting in the center bottom. All the pitting was probably not in the seals travel, but I decided to use new ones instead. The only reason I wanted to rebuild them is to keep all the same type bleeders.

66A30729-8737-4C7C-919F-2E41114773E2.jpeg D3677882-D0CC-4A9E-9600-D9CC3A0874E2.jpeg

When I rebuilt mine, I did my honing in a plastic container with brake fluid to keep the hone wet. Back and forth, inspect, repeat. Pitting in the center is fine as long as it doesn't get into the sealing surface.

I ordered my rebuild kits on Rockauto and actually received nos Raybestos kits that were made in the USA.

As OKDart said, the bleeders on the originals are larger than replacement cylinders and preferred.

Good luck, it is a fairy easy rebuild process.

Auto Transport Service
Back