• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wheel dollies

Richard Cranium

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:13 PM
Reaction score
Is hydraulic or ratcheting the way to go & who's got a good source to get some decent quality units?

dont use the harbor freight ones.we tried em here at the shop and they bent way too easy.you need to talk to some body shop guys and see where they get em.

I have one set of HF ones one older set that I got from a garage sale. The latter ones are a way better design, heavy and re-enforced whereas the HF ones...well the mob has spoken. With a minimum welding experience you can see where the weak points are and gusset the four corners really easily. (i've yet to do mine) More importantly with moving our heavy-*** cars on wheel dollies is having a super clean and smooth concrete floor and making sure that the wheels are pointing in the right direction before you start pushing.

I have one set of HF ones one older set that I got from a garage sale. The latter ones are a way better design, heavy and re-enforced whereas the HF ones...well the mob has spoken. With a minimum welding experience you can see where the weak points are and gusset the four corners really easily. (i've yet to do mine) More importantly with moving our heavy-*** cars on wheel dollies is having a super clean and smooth concrete floor and making sure that the wheels are pointing in the right direction before you start pushing.

Do you know what the brand of the older ones are? Any name plate?

I've had the Harbor Freight dollies--JUNK!!! I've got a set of 8 year old Go-Jacks that perform like the day I bought 'em--if you do your homework, you get what you pay for!

my garage is too small to manuver, it would be like dancing with a fat woman in a closet LOL

Ratcheting is the only way to go. Don't have to worry about blown O-rings and leaks. I was lucky enough to pick up actual Go-Jaks on craigslist. Bought them a pair at a time for a complete set of 4 for under $200.00.

Patrick

Do you know what the brand of the older ones are? Any name plate?

Unfortunately no and they weigh twice as much as the HF ones which tells me that they're not made out of soup cans.

Does not HF sell more than one grade of dolly? I am generally anti-Chinese, but bought some on sale for emergency use in a storage unit, must be the heavier ones, am very happy with them.
These guys build and sell everything that moves cars in shops: http://www.accessiblesystems.com/
If you can wade through them telling you how cool they think they are, you'll find they make nice stuff.
Good luck, Mike.

I got tire skates from http://accessiblesystems.com They are built strong and I haven't had any problems yet -and I don't think I ever will. Much pricier the HF, but do you really want to put your life, physical being or car on the line with something cheaply made and sold?

I am very happy with the heavy duty 16x16 dollies made by Merrick Machine. They are just dollies and don't have the jack feature though.

Greg Smithequipment&tools,Indy has them.A buddy in IN uses them on his $100k streetrod,hasn't complained.I've helped move it pretty easy on concrete floor.

Heard the HF ones were kinda shotty.....How about a Nice Dolly Parton Jack to go along with your Wheel Dolly set?

dollypartoncarjack7tv.gif

use gojacks i have them they work great but cost alot ihave 6000 series i can move my 2500 by myself

I've had hydraulic go-jacks $469 a pair & Auto Dolly set of 4 - 12"x16" $169 both from Summit Racing, wheels could be bigger, but I liked both, both have served their purpose well... go-jacks are really, convenient/nice, no need to jack up the car to use the dolly, you have it at the dolly, but also they're pretty damn costly too... I really don't mind spending money on tools ever, I have a tool fetish I think, when I have the $$$$, but my 3 girls chipped in & got me the go-jacks, so I didn't have to spend any money...

- - - Updated - - -

These Back Yard Buddy Easy Access Dolly's look cool to, I don't know how much they are yet

Attachments

• Auto Dolly set of 4 12x16 $149.95 Summit Racing mrm-m998002.jpg
    Auto Dolly set of 4 12x16 $149.95 Summit Racing mrm-m998002.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 575
  • GoJaks Zendex 13 inch $469 a pair Summit Racing mds-utg6200pr_w.jpg
    GoJaks Zendex 13 inch $469 a pair Summit Racing mds-utg6200pr_w.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 554
  • Back Yard Buddy Easy Access car-dolly system.jpg
    Back Yard Buddy Easy Access car-dolly system.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 682
Auto Transport Service
Back